Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been playing the Game Night Kit co-op variant and was wondering about how to handle monsters that are supposed to "engage hero" when the familiars that are treated as figures are on the board. Are they counted as heroes? Can they be used effectively as decoys then?

I kind of think they can, but I'm not entirely certain. The rules on pg 18 state, "They may be targeted and affected by monster attacks, hero abilities, and Overlord cards that target a hero." I've been translating that to mean that the monster activation cards are like overlord cards, and so should target these familiars like heroes.

I couldn't find anything in the kit's rulebook on how to treat familiars, and since I'll be running Game Nights, so was hoping to see what others who have seen/played the kit thought this.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Bagley
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked through the game rulebook and kit rulebook and came to the same conclusion based off the pg 18 rule you posted. I couldn't find anything else that said otherwise. Besides, them not targeting the wolf would be too convenient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having monsters target the wolf makes it convenient for the heroes, since it makes the game a lot easier sending the familiar out as bait. Imagine both the Beastmaster and the Necromancer?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Bagley
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meanwhile, you also have these 2 familiars running around invincible and dealing some good amounts of damage. Maybe this combo is OP either way and should be avoided in our game nights.

have you already tried the two of them together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not together, but I have done one with the Wolf, then another with the Reanimate. Individually, I don't think it's OP (we won with the wolf, lost with the Reanimate but on the last encounter), but together it might be easy. We'll see if anyone actually tries it. And since both are pretty squishy, it only distracts one or two attacks. In a 4 hero game, I bet it's not OP at all (but say in a 2 hero game it might be).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Bagley
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I meant as a two player game they might be OP. But we'll see. I still think the familiars should be targeted as heroes. Otherwise they stay out there the entire session and are more powerful than intended and also don't wear down the fatigue of the beast/necro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Piloka
msg tools
as an overlord I am play against a 4 person party with necro and beastmaster in it. I only am on the 3rd encounter but putting fattys right in front of them when they are on the starting tile has been pretty effective at preventing them from summoning and slowing them down. Killing their pets while they are low on stamina has also been very effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim YC
msg tools
mbmbmb
Good point... I've always wondered about how to handle familiars. I've modified my own variant to have some activation cards specifically say "ignoring familiars", so there should be some balance between targeting Heroes and targeting familiars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
Selling board games during Brussels Games Festival 2018: check my for trade items. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Up until now we have been considering familiars as possible targets for the activation cards.

The last FAQ I remember (Version 1.5, Updated 2/9/2015) confirm it, also for the Summoned Stones.

Q: What cards and rules affect or target familiars?
A: Familiars are only considered heroes for Activation cards. When text
on Peril cards, Exploration cards, the cooperative adventure rules, or the
encounter guide references heroes or hero figures, it is not referring to
familiars, only actual heroes with Hero sheets

Q: Can monsters attack the Geomancer’s Summoned Stones since they’re not
familiars?
A: When determining the target of an Activation card, Summoned
Stones are considered to be heroes.

We haven't played yet a Necromancer and Beastmaster together, but since a Geomancer can be already particuarly annoying for the automated monsters (and we are also randomizing the targets laugh) I expect more familiars could only make the situation easier for a two heroes team.cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyjojo702 wrote:
as an overlord I am play against a 4 person party with necro and beastmaster in it. I only am on the 3rd encounter but putting fattys right in front of them when they are on the starting tile has been pretty effective at preventing them from summoning and slowing them down. Killing their pets while they are low on stamina has also been very effective.

That's actually not legal- like most things in D2E, even though it says to summon in an "adjacent space" if there are no adjacent spaces, they can summon in the nearest empty space (even on the far side of the monster.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Related question I encountered when playing co-op today. If all spots to either spawn or place (by peril cards forever) are blocked by heroes or allies, what happens? No spawn or placement? Displaced to closest space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nearest empty space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I played it, but I was winging it. Any rule to base your call on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Tarod wrote:
That's how I played it, but I was winging it. Any rule to base your call on?

It's based on the rules (well, the rules included in the Quest Guide).
See page 2 of the base game Quest Guide under Reinforcements, last sentence.
"...the monster is placed in the closest empty spaces(s) instead."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the Forgotten soul with my sister (she had the wolf). We played it as a non hero and it made the game a lot easier for us. I wonder if someone comes with a good rule for the familiar.

Both options - familiar is and is not treated as the hero do not work well with the scripted AI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.