Subject: First exposure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Corrado
United States
Winooski
Vermont
flag msg tools
The short of it: I came home from work and my roommate exclaimed "I've got a new game for us! Sentinels of the Multiverse!" We tried it out, I enjoyed it, definitely going to play again.

The longer version:
I came home from work and my roommate exclaimed "I've got a new game for us! Sentinels of the Multiverse!"

I was intrigued. I had heard of it but I had yet to have a chance to play it, especially since I'm still pretty new into table top gaming (at least, newly getting back into it since my days of DnD in high school years ago). My first reaction: "Holy shit, this is a nice box!" I really like the comic book theme, the feel of the cards, the instruction manual that's laid out like a comic book, the divider pieces, etc. It's all really well constructed and has a great feel in your hands.

"What kind of hero do you want to be," he asks. I respond "Some sort of mega zord!" (I had come in from work and already had a couple of drinks). "So, like, an Iron Man?" he responds. So I end up playing as Bunker, he plays as Wraith. We're fighting Omnitron. On Mars. Hell yeah!

In the end, we get destroyed. after a few rounds Omnitron busts out a card that deals to HP damage for each equipment destroyed, as it destroys all of the equipment in play. My roommate, Wraith, is destroyed completely. I have a measly 6 HP left. I manage to survive another three rounds, but end up destroyed.

Overall, I enjoyed the game. I definitely want to read the rules fully before my next play (because I'm that kind of player that needs to read them even after they've been explained to make sure I grasp everything fully.) I am really excited to play again and to bring it out at our weekly game night in the near future. It'll be a great addition to our game collection and I foresee this getting a lot of table time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you're enjoying it - it's a favorite both of mine and of the Grasshopper's (nom d'Internet for my 8-year-old son).

One thing you might want to note: In a two player game, at least one person needs to control more than one hero for the game to really be balanced. Times when H=2 causes effects that deal H-2 damage to be ignored.

If you'll let me suggest a match-up for your next game: Try one person controlling Legacy and the Wraith, and the other person controlling Bunker and Tachyon. Stick with fighting Omnitron (or try Baron Blade as the other difficulty 1 villain), but more to Insula Primalis. Mars and Atlantis are both pretty actively out to kill you, where as Insula Primalis tends to target the good guys and bad guys equally.

The SotM fan community is a pretty friendly bunch, so ask away and keep us informed on your efforts to save the Multiverse!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sentinels is definitely a game where you can still enjoy getting utterly destroyed at an embarrassing pace. But some of the best memories you'll have with this game will be coming from the brink of death after a long match of being pressed against the ropes and barely pulling out that win you never thought possible.

I'd surely suggest giving the rules a peak. The overall system of the game is straight forward (Play a card, use a Power, Draw a card), but some technical terminology can be important to distinguish. For instance, a "target" is a card with HP (your hero, the villain, villain minions or components, environment minions, etc.) When something damages the "Non-environment target with the highest HP", for example, that means you look at the villain and hero targets on the field and the one with the highest HP takes the damage.

Other rules can get a little fiddly when dealing with damage increases, reduction, and damage types. But in a nutshell it just comes down to "Play, Power, Draw". Keep the back of the rulebook handy, as that displays a nice chart that labels all of the turn order/phases.

Also, if you find yourself liking the Sentinels world of villains and heroes, Greater than Games just launched a Kickstarter for Sentinel Tactics, a tactical miniatures game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinel-tactic...

You mentioned you had experience with DnD, so I wasn't sure if you were into other tactical sorts of games (not that DnD fits explicitly into that category).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SotM is currently my favorite game! It is always good to see new folks discovering the game!

Let us know how your second exposure works out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Corrado
United States
Winooski
Vermont
flag msg tools
Thanks for the tips. I will suggest that match up to my roommate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.