Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Customized Mockingbird rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy theCritic
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm getting the hang of this character creation thing, I am really liking my new Falcon...and if "Nacnudllah" is keen (no pressure though if you aren't, I may have to dedicate some time to figuring out if I can do it) I have another challenge. Mockingbird!

As always...feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

Mockingbird (SHIELD Affiliation)

Common 1
"Full of Surprises" (Strength)
Cost 3
2 # (attack)
Text: [SHIELD logo] Versatile 2

Common 2
"SHIELD Gadgetry" (Tech)
Cost 4
Text: Focus 2 This card may be used to trigger any card's super power, regardless of requirements.

Uncommon
"Under Cover" (Covert)
Cost 6
4#
Text: You may ignore the fight effect of one villain you fight this turn.

Rare
"Trained for This" (Instinct)
Cost 8
5#
[Covert logo] You may ignore the fight effect of one Master Mind you fight this turn.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacnud Llah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jimmy, I'd be happy to make these for you. I can also hook you up with templates, fonts, etc. if you want. In the meantime, I do have some feedback on the Mockingbird cards:

Full of Surprises
Is the intent that she could have 4# if another Shield hero has been played? Because Hulk (who is pretty beast in game terms) has a card that costs 4, has 2#, and triggers off of KOing a Wound, which I think counts as more difficult (although also more beneficial) than playing a SHIELD Agent. Maybe she could have 1# printed and get versatile 2. Or have 2 printed and get Versatile 1.

SHIELD Gadgetry
Is the intent to be able to trigger the same ability numerous times per turn? I think it sounds cool and not unreasonable, just wanna double check for proper wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy theCritic
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are a good man...

Full of Surprises - I agree with you. I had her pencilled in as 1 attack, and then changed it to 2 as I was typing the post because I thought she was a bit weak - but forgot to compare to others. You are absolutely correct.

SHIELD Gadgetry - yeah. That was the idea. And by making it a Focus ability, it comes with a cost so it isn't simply unlimited. She gets it once for free (via her own card's recruit).

Up to you re: card stuff. If you want to, I can see a "Nacnudcritic" Custom Cards file down the track? I've got a Shadow Cat ready to go (and some others in the works) but I work best bouncing ideas off others...I just didn't want to assume you were up for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacnud Llah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to continue collaborating and crafting. If you do ever want GIMP templates and fonts, just PM me. In the meantime, here's mock-ups of the Mockingbird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The chances of having another SHIELD card in your hand is very high, especially early in the game. That means "Full of Surprises" is basically a 3-cost card for basically 3 attack, which is way overpowered, IMHO. There's no way Mockingbird's common should pack more of a punch than the Hulk's common...ever.

I'd give her 1 Versatile and then maybe give her an extra +1 Versatile with a double-covert critical hit. Even a double-SHIELD critical hit seems too easy to pull off. Alternatively, maybe "If you've KO'ed a SHIELD Hero this turn, get +1 Versatile" and give one of the other Mockingbird cards a superpower ability to KO a SHIELD Hero or something like that.

I recommend thinking of 1 Versatile as being worth 1.5 in either attack/recruit due to its inherent flexibility. And each superpower ability you put on a card adds at least another 0.5 to the card's value, probably more in most circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy theCritic
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are right about that DarthEd. I was worried she was underpowered and have taken her too far the other way...I rationalised it that the way to look at it was that she wasn't on her own - she was leading a SHIELD Spec. Forces unit or something. But...early game she's never going to be on her own. I guess I convinced myself I'd use the recruit instead of the attack early game...

Maybe drop "Full of Surprises" to a 2 cost...with a Versatile 1 & 1 attack bonus with a SHIELD trigger. Brings her closer to the low cost Elektra common that way I guess!

I'm happy what you did with the others too Nacnud (do I call you Nacnud?) The Rare is affordable and not a kickass card on its own...but could be very useful!

What's funny, though, is that I had started collecting a couple of images of Mockingbird before Nacnud put the Falcon together...3 of my favourite 4 are the same ones he used for Mockingbird! SNAP!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacnud Llah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oops, I didn't actually mean to make the rare cost 6. I just was absent-minded while making these. It should probably cost at least 7 to make it a normal cost for a rare.
That's pretty funny that we ended up with mostly the same art, if you ever want specific art, just post links to it and i'll use that.
Also, feel free to call me nacnud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy theCritic
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also...I can only seem to download the rare...are the links ok?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacnud Llah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're working for me, but I'll repost them.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/nacnudllah/Legendary...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy theCritic
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nacnudllah wrote:

Good man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Powers
United States
California
flag msg tools
Good looking cards, but I would worry that they are not in line with the normal cards.
Full of Surprises seems to have a nearly automatic ability that would make it too low of a cost.
SHIELD Gadgetry I am not 100% sure I understand. A superpower is the card text? This seems like it would be far to effective for a mere 2 Focus. If I use it with Unstable Molecules from Mr. Fantastic I keep getting to draw 2 cards. As long as I draw 2 Recruit, I can keep going until I get all the best things I have.
Uncommon and the Rare seem to be reasonably costed to me, though Bobby having that high of fighting compared to other characters surprises me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful choice of arts even if nobody would actually be undercover like she is in the Undercover card, but hey, I'd rather have it this way.

FULL OF SURPRISES

Definitely too good. Shield trigger is way too easy, especially because Mockingbird is SHIELD herself, so the Versatile 1 would always trigger unless you goof off on purpose. She shouldn't be that good, at least match it with Hawkeye's power level, which is a 3 attack for a 4 cost or a 1 attack for a 3 cost and draw a card. Something equivalent to that.

Cheap powerful strikes like Elektra's and Daredevil rely on something that may or may not happen. In here, Mockingbird has an extremely reliable chance of making it happen.

You know what could be a simple fix? Make it an Avengers trigger. Perfect to team her with Hawkeye then. She would need to rely on an Avengers ally to be her very best on her common and if not, a 1 attack for 2 cost is pretty damn good too! Something that not even Iron Fist has (yeah well, his Rare is extreme!).

SHIELD GADGETRY

A bit vague and sounds exploitable. Hmmm...how about Focus 2: Change any trigger on your Heroes to (Shield)(Shield) ? A bit more thematic for the Shield armory and copycat minds?

UNDER COVER

You can tone down her attack value since ignoring Fight is good enough on its own. She would be relying on her agility and martial arts rather than sheer strength anyway. I don't know if you want her on the same power level than Daredevil or Captain America's uncommons, especially if the overall theme is stronger-via-surprises-and-agility.

TRAINED FOR THIS

Great! Elegant and very, very interesting.

Please, see if you can balance her out because I'd love to be able to use her without feeling guilty!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.