5 Posts

Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage» Forums » Rules

Subject: Strategy Card Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff C
msg tools
I have the Valley Games edition.

The rules indicate that the event is only available if the operation number is not used. However, the Strategy Cards Native Guide (#5), Traitor in Tarentum (#18), Hannibal Charms Italy (#28), Adriatic Pirates (#50), and Treachery within City (#54) all start with "If you use this card as an OC". I presume "OC" is supposed to mean "Operational Card" (meaning the card was used for its OPs), although that is not defined in the rules. Am I correct that for these cards the event actually can only happen if you use operation number of the card?

For the Strategy Cards Major Campaign (#33-34), Minor Campaign (#37-40), and Forced March (#61-63), am I correct in thinking that there is never any reason to use the OPs number on these cards but they should always be used as an Event Card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
brigade wrote:
I have the Valley Games edition.

The rules indicate that the event is only available if the operation number is not used. However, the Strategy Cards Native Guide (#5), Traitor in Tarentum (#18), Hannibal Charms Italy (#28), Adriatic Pirates (#50), and Treachery within City (#54) all start with "If you use this card as an OC". I presume "OC" is supposed to mean "Operational Card" (meaning the card was used for its OPs), although that is not defined in the rules. Am I correct that for these cards the event actually can only happen if you use operation number of the card?

For the Strategy Cards Major Campaign (#33-34), Minor Campaign (#37-40), and Forced March (#61-63), am I correct in thinking that there is never any reason to use the OPs number on these cards but they should always be used as an Event Card?
1)Yes, that is correct. 2)Generally yes, although there could be specific situations where you could conceivably use the OPs number instead. It would be pretty unusual but say you had a couple of generals under siege, and no-one you really wanted to move, then the other uses for the cards might present themselves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. It's a pretty common convention in games with lots of unique card effects that the effects of some individual cards can override general rules.

2. "am I correct in thinking that there is never any reason to use the OPs number on these cards but they should always be used as an Event Card?" Do you mean that as a rule question or a strategy question? As per rule 8.2, you can certainly use the operation number of such cards to place PC markers or raise troops. But if you use them to move a general, then sure, of course there is no reason not to use the accompanying event to possibly enhance the move and do more with your move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 1, my Campaign Cards almost always turn into 3 PC markers in Spain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
msg tools
Thanks for the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.