Jon-Carlo Canezo
msg tools
Sorry if these have been asked before, but my group is getting to a point where there are some questions that I have found some answers, but no source; and a general Plague Cloud question that leaves us baffled.

Prey on the Weak and Fire Breath will do extra damage if the target of the initial attack had a might of 2 or less, correct? Say you rolled 3 hearts and a surge on the attack against a target with a might of 2. You spend the surge to fire breath and "affect" 2 other heroes that have a might of 3 and 4; would the attack do 4 damage to each hero? This is because of a target thing along with Prey on the Weak's wording, correct? Can anyone give me the source of this? Because I've read people saying this, but they never link me to a source. Nothing in the FAQ, official or unofficial.

However, here's something that has come up that has us a bit baffled. Plague Cloud. There's a monster that is hexed, it is adjacent to 2 non-hexed monsters. One of those non-hexed monsters is also adjacent to a Wolf from the Beastmaster with the Stalker ability (if a hero targets a monster next to a wolf, he gets an extra green dice). The "initial" hexed target of the Plague Cloud attack isn't next to the Wolf. Would the attack roll an extra green dice? Plague Cloud, by the wording of the errata and even unofficial FAQ, says it targets each hexed monster after it gets hexed from the plague cloud.

I ask because while these two scenarios are similar, they aren't the same because Plague Cloud targets each hexed monster as well. The wording on the card gets a bit confusing. Another question that might come up then, is what about a hexed monster next to a non-hexed monster next to the Geomancer's Terracall/Summon Earth familiar/obstacle (but the hexed monster is not adjacent to the Terracall familiar/obstacle)? Does it get an auto surge?

And what about Plague Cloud with the Prophet's Victory Foretold? And the Prophet's Victory Foretold in general, as far as blast and other potential AOEs go, you must choose 1 target that when it dies, you gain 3 health? Does it have to be the same target as the one you targetted with the blast or AOE so you can get the extra green dice?

I guess the question really boils down to: does Plague Cloud target each monster that is hexed. If there are 2 groups of monsters not near each other at all, but both are hexed, do both get targetted with Plague Cloud, even if they're across the room and potentially 20 spaces away (and still in line of sight)?

Lastly, as a non-Plague Cloud related question, in Fountain of Insight in Encounter 1, can the overlord possess a cleansed ally? If he does, and the heroes kill that lieutenant (which is the only way for them to win if it were the case that they could possess a cleansed ally),
which ally would the heroes control during the next encounter: the one they didn't cleanse?

Sorry for wall of text of questions. These were some arguments tonight that we couldn't really come to a conclusion (as the Overlord, I just let them come with the final decision because I'll mostly get bitched and complained at for the whole game, and it becomes hard to argue against 4 people. Even though I told them about the Prey on the Weak/Fire Breath thing, they still insisted no. Which is why I would love a source for it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Kopet
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your interpretation for Fire Breath and Prey on the Weak is correct. Not sure exactly where in FAQ it is mentioned though.

From FFG Sez page:
Hexer/Plague Cloud

1. When Hexer uses his skill Plague Cloud does he perform the following: firstly declare an attack and choose targets (hexed monsters in LOS); after that, for each target, place new hex tokens on each adjacent monster to that target (even if this monster is a target itself, but adjacent to another target); and after that roll dices for declared targets. Newly hexed monsters is not targeted, since they got tokens after you declared an attack?

Justin Kemppainen wrote:
Plague Cloud targets each hexed monster with an attack, and there is a sort of recursive loop that ensures that each monster adjacent to a hexed monster is also hexed (and thus becomes a target) prior to the dice being rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon-Carlo Canezo
msg tools
I know about the FAQ Hexer/Plague Cloud thing. But that's kind of the crazy part. It says that Plague Cloud targets each hexed monster. So multiple hexed monsters, only one of which is next to a Wolf from the Beastmaster or something similar to that, would all get the extra bonus die and whatnot.

Here's the other thing, if its still one "attack", couldn't I discard all of the hex tokens on all monsters, potentially getting an extra 2 damage on the attack per monster? They're all being targeted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon-Carlo Canezo
msg tools
Nathan emailed me back! Here's the answers if anyone was interested. I also posted it on the FFG sez mega thread.

Plague Cloud. There's a monster that is hexed, it is adjacent to 2 non-hexed monsters. One of those non-hexed monsters is also adjacent to a Wolf from the Beastmaster with the Stalker ability (if a hero targets a monster next to a wolf, he gets an extra green die). The "initial" hexed target of the Plague Cloud attack isn't next to the Wolf. Would the attack roll an extra green dice?

Quote:
All of the targeting of extra monsters happens before dice, as is stated on Plague Cloud, “Before rolling dice for the attack, each monster adjacent to a target monster is hexed.” So yes, the extra die would be rolled.

I asked the same question but if it was next to a Geomancer's Terracall/Summoned Earth obstacle, and it applies there as well.

Next up: Plague Cloud and Victory Foretold.
What about Plague Cloud with the Prophet's Victory Foretold? And the Prophet's Victory Foretold in general, as far as blast and other potential AOEs go, you must choose 1 target that when it dies, you gain 3 health?

Quote:
The key here is “before rolling dice”. If the hero can target multiple monsters before dice, he would select one of those monsters to be “the monster” for Victory Foretold.

And lastly, the Fountain of Insight Encounter 1.
In Fountain of Insight in Encounter 1, can the overlord possess a cleansed ally? If he does, and the heroes kill that lieutenant (which is the only way for them to win if it were the case that they could possess a cleansed ally), which ally would the heroes control during the next encounter: the one they didn't cleanse?

Quote:

An ally that was cleansed cannot be possessed. This is not clear in the rules and I will look into putting this in the next errata. Thanks.

Nathan Hajek
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.