David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Wien / Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the last few years, there has been a growth in games that feature campaign modes, where an intrepid band of adventurers are persistant over multiple gaming sessions. The most recent of these is Myth, and last year Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set. I have done quite a bit of research on both, almost pulling the trigger on PACG several times, and being genuinely fascinated with Myth. My question for purchasers of PACG is: do you play PACG as part of regular game nights, or do you tend to get a smaller subset of gamers to commit to a campaign game and play it on another night?

Whilst I realise it is still new and evolving with new card sets, are you finding this game takes up a big proportion of your gaming time, in order to get the best out of the campaign feature but to the detriment of playing other games in your collection?

Note: I also posed this question in the Myth forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidcoleman wrote:
My question for purchasers of PACG is: do you play PACG as part of regular game nights, or do you tend to get a smaller subset of gamers to commit to a campaign game and play it on another night?

Whilst I realise it is still new and evolving with new card sets, are you finding this game takes up a big proportion of your gaming time, in order to get the best out of the campaign feature but to the detriment of playing other games in your collection?

Not sure what you mean by "still new and evolving"?
All 6 adventures to the game were finished before the game entered the shops. So while we still have to wait a few months for the final two adventures, I am pretty confident they will be "exactly the same as the previous four.

Each adventure contains about 5 scenarios, and as you can easily play 2-3 scenarios during a normal game evening, we simply play the game over two game evenings when a new expansion has been released, and then we play all the other stuff at all the other sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Wien / Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I meant evolving in the sense that new game mechanics and adventure packs are still being released to create a whole campaign.

But your second paragraph answered my question pretty well - e.g not that detrimental to other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
davidcoleman wrote:
My question for purchasers of PACG is: do you play PACG as part of regular game nights, or do you tend to get a smaller subset of gamers to commit to a campaign game and play it on another night?

Currently I am playing it on my regular game night. The group enjoyed the game so much that we played it several weeks in a row and now have basically agreed to play it every week until the campaign is finished (or we get tired of playing it). This is change of pace for us because we are die-hard members of the "cult of the new", but I think we are all enjoying the respite from having to learn a new game each week. The real test will be to see if we make it through all 33 scenarios or get bored before the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess it depends on your game group. Our regular group is five players but we sometimes have other people turn up to play (Which we enjoy, as more the better).

We have busy people in our group and some with jobs which simply means they are going to sometimes miss sessions. In games like Descent and this we have some rules for either substituting different players or playing minus a player on game night. Obviously if some extra people turn up, it can break the numbers that these games can be played with.

Normally, this game is part of our regular gaming session, but we won't play this game every session (we break it up with other games in between)

All in all the simple answer is what works for the players that want to play this game with you. If they are happy to only play this game every session, then no worries. A particular run isn't that long though, so we will sometimes have a go of this game and then play another meaty game in the same session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of any new mechanics introduced since the base game, but there are still several keywords on released cards that haven't been covered yet, so it's possible a new mechanic will be introduced in the next couple adventure packs. More likely, the unused keywords won't be used until the next base set for mixing cards from this set into the next one. The adventure packs are released every other month, with four out so far, and the last two already printed (all AP's were finished with the base game), but not released yet.

This game wouldn't hit the table during a regular game night, and is only played with the same group of regulars who have progressed our characters together. This game normally wouldn't take that long, as mentioned above, probably only two sessions (or in our case one really long session) to get through all 5 adventures in an adventure pack every other month. That's if you're only progressing one set of characters. We're progressing three different sets of four each (in order to play all 11 characters, plus a second Mesriel), so we usually don't finish progressing everyone by the time the next AP comes out, and run a bit behind. So if you decide you want to use everyone and keep rotating your characters, this will take up a big chunk of your gaming time. If you're ok just keeping one set of characters built, this won't be very detrimental to other games at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Whitaker
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-Tees
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We love it and can't get enough of it, but sometimes we try to ration ourselves to just one game per session, to spread the fun out and cause less waiting time till the next pack is released.

There are three of us who have been ever-present, a further one who has been there most of the time, and we also let extra people play if they want to with a couple of characters that have had some powerups but not all of them, as they haven't taken part in all of the scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes...this game takes up pretty much all of my board gaming time - and a lot of my video gaming time, too. It has actually revived some of the other board game groups that had kind of stopped getting together regularly. It is a wondrously fun game that keeps getting better and better as more expansion packs are released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Our gaming group is 4 people. One of them didn't like it and dropped out. So now we only play it when that one can't make it to game night. More rarely played now, but the three of us are still eager to go when we get the chance. I suggested an alternate night, but so far only one of the remaining two others agreed to it.

I also backed another campaign "enabled" game on KS, so we'll see how that goes over with the 4 of us. We got pretty far into Descent 2, then gave that a rest for a while. I guess we're a "cult of the different" rather than just focusing on new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Wien / Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all of your thoughtful replies. It certainly gives me something to think about. We have a small but regular game group in Whangarei, whose preferences in games varies very widely, from short to long, simple to complex, economic to fantasy. One player owns Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) and began a campaign with just one other player a couple of years ago, but hardly ever gets to play as it only grabs a couple of people. So I am a little leery of campaign games, despite my own interest. Based upon your replies, and those in the Myth forum, it seems that both have their strengths and weaknesses. Based on our local group preferences, Myth may, despite relative complexity and time, may be able to better incorporate a mixture of campaign and casual play than PACG.

Note: i posted essentially the same reply in the Myth form. Just being a good recycler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.