United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I've uploaded the latest set of rules. Please feel free to take a look and see if you have any questions, concerns or suggestions.

Overall there were no major changes, but there were some updates that actually simplified the rules a bit. Specifically, putting or retrieving leaders (or infantry, for the Romans) in the Fleet box as an action has been removed.

These actions (and the corresponding Fleet Box on the map itself) were really a bit of a relic from an earlier iteration of the game where fleets were represented by cards. Now, when you get into a naval battle you can just play the leader straight from your hand.

This idea came as part of an overhaul of the Corvus strategy card. Neither Judd nor I were ever completely satisfied with it, and it really felt like having a second Reserve. By eliminating the Fleet box (the Romans can now add infantry straight from the Reserve to a naval battle, and potentially capture an enemy ship, if they have Corvus), it also eliminated the need for the actions related to it.

This actually shortened the rulebook a bit as there are two less actions to describe.

The Fleet Box from the map will be replaced and used as the "Captured Locations" box. The spot where the "Captured Locations" currently sits will be replaced with a Pillage track.

Cheers,

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
I just updated the latest files. No rules changes, I just cleaned up references to the old fleet box, and reworded some things. I also reworked the introduction.

Please take a look and let me know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Another update today. I decided to make a change regarding pillaging. Instead of a flat -1 VP cost for every 3 pillages, it's now a progressive track, with -1 at 3, -2 at 5 and -3 at 8.

The rest is just general cleanup, which partly consisted of using "location" in places where I had been using "city", which has its own meaning.

I also updated the player aid. Nothing major, but it removes the references to the old fleet box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Another update today. No major changes. The only really notable adjustment was that I did change the cost to purchase a warship (from 5 SP to 4 SP) and closed a couple potential minor loopholes (which never came up in practice, so no worries). The rest was just clarifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
I uploaded the latest player aid. This contains one minor tweak not yet in the uploaded rules. The "return card to empire deck" action is now limited to once per round, and you may not return location cards to your empire deck if it's your capital card, or if the location is worth 3 or more VP.

This was a non-issue in practice, but it was added to prevent worst-case-gaminess by the Carthaginian player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Another upload today, this is basically typo fixes, clarifications and some suggestions that I've integrated from some of you, and some of my playtesters. Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

I think the only rule change was to make bribery cost 2 SP instead of 1.

There was one setup/component change. I've reduced the total number of cubes for each side by 2 because it was too difficult to ever get them all on the board. It's still difficult, but now it's at least more plausible.

I also uploaded the latest player aid, which just had a couple minor fixes/updates.

Please take a look at the latest version and let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.