5 Posts

Imperial 2030» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noone controls china can be normal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ben small
Australia
flag msg tools
Have played very little of this version. But we had a 4 player game, where the starting setup meant that noone controlled china for a few turns, and this late start meant they were always going to be useless, and India and Russia were always going to thrive.

I found it really messed up what is normally an interesting struggle for which powers will do well. Every other power got at most 2x. Mostly curious if we played it correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
it's normal in a 4 player game that one power might not be 'owned' from the beginning but that wouldn't mean it's useless, even the regions not scoring a lot have had their use in my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
DPO
US Armed Forces - Pacific
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the games I've played the countries that don't get picked up in the first round are quickly picked up by a player to be used as an ally (if it borders another country they control). It is also not uncommon for it to be picked up to pester another neighboring country, with the ultimate goal of having your primary country flourish while this "second round pick" does all the work. Having two countries work for your investments is always a good idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Loehn
Germany
Kleinostheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smallman wrote:
..., where the starting setup meant that noone controlled china for a few turns, ...

What do you mean with starting setup? The predefined or did you auction of the bonds and nobody bought a single one in China?

smallman wrote:

I found it really messed up what is normally an interesting struggle for which powers will do well. Every other power got at most 2x. Mostly curious if we played it correctly.

It sometimes happens that nobody has money left to buy US or EU, but usually with the first invests some of these bonds are bought. So far I never have seen an early country which didn´t sell a bond during auction, but if the group decided that way, why not. Usually countries that didn´t sell a bond even after the first investor phase do very bad. They are far behind in military and in general are not very attractive for big investsments. But why did that mess up the struggle? There are always countries doing better or worse then average. Rarely all countries could compete for 4x or 5x.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben small
Australia
flag msg tools
Did the predefined start, and just happened to have no China. I meant China useless in terms of end value, still worth taking at some point just to influence the game, but were always going to be at a huge disadvantage, and gives a large unfair advantage to the players that start with USSR and India. Even though I beat these players, wouldn't have been close if I started with 1 of them

Will just have to play auction from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.