Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've been playing that, if you have 0 coins, you can get 1 coin from the bank if you then spend it to build a 1 cost building. But now I'm wondering if that's wrong, that you can just take 1 coin and hold onto it.

Which is right? I based my original interpretation on the text in the rules that say you get it "precisely before you build," which implied to me that if you don't build, you don't get it. And as I read that again, I'm starting to think my first interpretation was correct! Or is that text just there to indicate you can take the coin after, for example, you've been drained of cash by other players' red cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it matters, I've always played this as "get 1 coin if you have 0", nothing else. I believe the "before you build" is there just to make sure you get the coin if you end up with 0 coins thanks to red buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
For what it matters, I've always played this as "get 1 coin if you have 0", nothing else. I believe the "before you build" is there just to make sure you get the coin if you end up with 0 coins thanks to red buildings.

Same here. Seems too harsh otherwise (zero money if there are no 1 buildings to purchase).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
"get 1 coin if you have 0", nothing else.

That's the way we play it too. You can hang on to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Okay, you all have convinced me! Although the wording in the rules should probably be something like "precisely before you could build (whether you do or not)" to help out confused types like me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.