Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone tell me what they think of this tech (under/over-powered, utility, etc)? It would be placed approximately around the same position in the tech tree as War Sun is now:

In place of the Receive Command Counters and Draw Cards step of the Status Phase, you may instead receive 1 Command Counter or draw 1 Action or Political card for each planet you control that contains at least 1 Ground Force.

Thoughts? It needs to be useful (i.e, allow the drawing of more CCs and cards than average, to make up for the investment in getting the tech in the first place) but I'm a bit worried that it might allow players to draw ridiculous numbers of CCs and cards.

Maybe "non-Home system planets"...? Or maybe just "systems you control"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
msg tools
As written, it is way too powerful. Let's say you have 7 planets. You then can replace the 2 CCs you normally get, and 1 action card, and then you get another 4 CCs or action cards. Four extra action cards is just nuts. And honestly, 7 planets is probably a little on the low side of what a player will have. If you turned it into just systems you control, that might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks. Might change it to "systems you control containing at least 1 Ground Force", then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Cool, thanks. Might change it to "systems you control containing at least 1 Ground Force", then.

Yeah, that sounds much better.
It could encourage invading, as well, to cut down on an opponent's income...

Personally, I'm not sure it really would add a whole lot to the game, but it could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
akinfantryman wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

Yeah, that sounds much better.
It could encourage invading, as well, to cut down on an opponent's income...

Personally, I'm not sure it really would add a whole lot to the game, but it could work.

Yeah, part of the point of it is to encourage invasion combat, as we don't see much of this in our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob mackenzie
msg tools
stupid idea, sorry but this is useless. it lets one player who is already winning, keep on winning because he owns more systems, and with more CC can keep owning more systems.

I would rethink this idea or if you are still really keen atleast try it out and see if you like it. best way for anything is just to give it a go and see what happens and if your group likes it.

A suggestion, whoever controls mecatol rex at the status phase gets 1 cc or action card. anyway the idea of twilight isnt invasion or war, it is securing objectives while crippling your opponents by a little without bleeding out urself.

(also if you are implementing it as a tech, then tech heavy races gain an added benefit, so you have balancing issues. jol nar for example.

My opinion only, again try it out as a house game variant and if it works then great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ti3_user wrote:
stupid idea, sorry but this is useless. it lets one player who is already winning, keep on winning because he owns more systems, and with more CC can keep owning more systems.

That's kinda how the whole game works anyway. A player who has more systems has more resources to build units with, which he can then use to acquire more systems. The thing that balances this is that the other players can gang up on him.

Also, as I said, it needs to have some utility as it will only be acquired either late in the game or at great expense, so if it doesn't pay for itself, it's useless.

I think the previous poster's suggestion of having the effect only applying to systems is a decent compromise, as then you need to control 4 systems just to get what you would normally get anyway (although it allows greater versatility).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Ti3_user wrote:

I wonder if there's any way, at the moment, that a player with more influence and resources can enjoy the use of more CCs and ships to use with those CCs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Allen
Australia
TERALBA
NSW
flag msg tools
The space left intentionally blank
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tech isn't really OP if it's put in the right spot of the Tech tree. Clearly is should be as far from the military (red) techs as possible. A player would have to decide early on which side of the tech tree to go for - military or economy.

That said, it would make the Jol-Nar unbearably strong and I wouldn't play with it for that reason alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
It's an interesting idea. I'd probably make this a benefit for a custom race, and see how it handles.

That said, it is kind of boring. There are techs for getting more AC and CC. This one is way better, but also just sort of redundant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:
It's an interesting idea. I'd probably make this a benefit for a custom race, and see how it handles.

That said, it is kind of boring. There are techs for getting more AC and CC. This one is way better, but also just sort of redundant.

That's fine - in my tech tree, those techs don't exist any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Gylthinel wrote:

That's fine - in my tech tree, those techs don't exist any more.

Problem solved!

Though a potential concern could then be that this tech would become too important. Maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.