Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for playtesters for the new VASSAL module. Drop me a line via private message if you're interested.

For those of you who are familiar with the old module, this one is quite different, though it will look familiar.

I'm particularly interested in getting people who have never tried the module before as this one is intended to be self-explanatory and somewhat helpful.

This module has been rebuilt from the ground up to be user-friendly and somewhat more robust than previous versions. It is fully automated and has some limited undo capability (the rule is that if a die has been rolled, a random card selected, an opponent's hand revealed, or you've allowed your opponent to make a choice, then you don't get to undo -- otherwise, it's relatively liberal). It also has chess-like clocks and a bunch of other things that don't occur to me right now.

I'm not going to put it out in general release until I'm reasonably confident that it is bug free. So far, it looks like we're close.

There's a shot of it here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to give this a spin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
ahmedhadzi wrote:

As would I. But I've played five or more TS games using the existing Vassal interface, so if this disqualifies me from playtesting this one, I understand!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Herren
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in checking it out too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looleypalooley wrote:
ahmedhadzi wrote:

As would I. But I've played five or more TS games using the existing Vassal interface, so if this disqualifies me from playtesting this one, I understand!

No one's disqualified. I'm just interested in hearing from others as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
I've never used the VASSAL module for Twilight Struggle and harbour a somewhat irrational dislike for VASSAL in general, so sign me up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
Used to play the last one quite a lot, as a form of training, so always solo. (FtF matches only for me, when it comes to the real deal).

But I do have 1 question..

Wil this one have a solo option, so that "we" don't have to switch sides all the time?

Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Haring wrote:
"we"

Holy crap, are you Fidel and Raul all rolled up into one?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dillon
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in giving the new module a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
Much Hadham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have already playtested the new module and i can say for the vassal veterans that it is a completely new experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael,

You once said you intended to make TS Vassal module PBEM-ready.
Is it something to be expected in this release?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haring wrote:
Used to play the last one quite a lot, as a form of training, so always solo. (FtF matches only for me, when it comes to the real deal).

But I do have 1 question..

Wil this one have a solo option, so that "we" don't have to switch sides all the time?

No, you still have to manually switch sides. However, it will actually work if you do. It's not bad the way it is and I've played it solo quite a few times while testing it and works quite well. The previous version absolutely did not work properly solo. It always required a live opponent; this one does not.

Which reminds me of another feature: It actually works for PBeM. It works for VSAV files and VLOG files with the caveat that if you load a VLOG file, read the little bit in the log that tells you what you have to do and the end of the log file.

Other than that, if I play solo, I often open two sessions simultaneously and switch between windows. That is vastly superior to anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
afafard wrote:
Michael,

You once said you intended to make TS Vassal module PBEM-ready.
Is it something to be expected in this release?

Yup. Read the above note.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are the best !
I cant wait to see this, count me in as a tester.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kindred
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael! I've played the current VASSAL module about 5 times, and would be happy to help in any way that I can. Thank you for all your hard work on this fantastic game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioan Mitiu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 here
Count me in for this task too !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Haring wrote:
"we"

Holy crap, are you Fidel and Raul all rolled up into one?!

Λεγιὼν ὄνομά μοι, ὅτι πολλοί ἐσμεν.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
My name is Legion, for we are many

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sent out a link but it doesn't work.

I have to use a new file sharing service.

I'll try again later on.

EDIT: new link sent out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anyone with the new module who is willing to playtest with me some time this weekend?

Flexible time. I'm fast player, so I'm pretty sure we can flip 2-3 games in less than 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
ahmedhadzi wrote:
Is there anyone with the new module who is willing to playtest with me some time this weekend?

Flexible time. I'm fast player, so I'm pretty sure we can flip 2-3 games in less than 2 hours.

How about this Sunday? I think the afternoon works for me. Maybe 1 or 2 pm my time (EST)? I'm generally a reasonably fast player as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
ahmedhadzi wrote:

How about this Sunday? I think the afternoon works for me. Maybe 1 or 2 pm my time (EST)? I'm generally a reasonably fast player as well.

Sounds like a plan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this. Is this coming along? I've played a bunch with the old version (nearly all PBEM) and would love to get my hands on something that works better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
Just saw this. Is this coming along? I've played a bunch with the old version (nearly all PBEM) and would love to get my hands on something that works better!

It's coming along. We're in the middle of playtesting and bug hunting. If I had to guess, it should be released in a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unsolvable Riddle
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the "Twilight-Struggle-Deluxe-3.0.11c.vmod" or some new/other/different module?
If that's the one I've only loaded it once to confirm it's working and haven't played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clowntable wrote:
Is this the "Twilight-Struggle-Deluxe-3.0.11c.vmod" or some new/other/different module?
If that's the one I've only loaded it once to confirm it's working and haven't played it yet.

I'm about to release a very new version of the module. We've gone through a fair bit of beta testing. I'm going to play one more game on the weekend and let it go (unless I find a bug -- in which case, I'll fix it and then let it out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.