Hide
7 Posts

Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: Animal Keeper rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Venables
msg tools
I know it is possibly a more fun card than powerful one, but what experiences have people had using this effectively?

I played it the first time I ever had the card, and it worked great allowing me to build one nice big pasture and breed all 3 animal types in there which I won. Of course I realised in later games, if you don't get the 2 boars and 2 cattle later on, then it suddenly isn't very useful at all.

There is something fun and more efficient about being able to just fences one large pasture and store all your animals in there for breeding, but in 4P it doesn't seem that effective in the end, due to the lack of animals to go round. I haven't won a game with it since.

I think the bigger point is why isn't it available in 2P and maybe 3P games? With more animals to go round, that would make it much more worthwhile wouldn't it, really would let you do double and triple breeds all in one pasture. I really can't see why it's restricted to 4P at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is more useful in a 5-player game, where there is another animal action space, or with Farmers of the Moor, where there is a 4th animal type, horses.

I took this picture for a hypothetical case with the Animal Keeper some time ago:

I was trying to figure out how many horses I could squeeze in with the Animal Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're using it correctly. All it does is provides the convenience of building one big pasture that with a stable or two will provide more storage space than you'll ever need. But yeah, in most games you'll never have enough animals for it to really matter.

I think you need to have cards that give you extra animals before this guy is really useful. Maybe if you have an animal dealer or something, so that you can just take 2 or 3 animals off the board every turn. Or maybe in 5er when you can take pigs and cows right away.

As for why it's only available in 4+, I have no idea. It would be completely harmless to use it with smaller numbers of players. (There are a lot of cards like that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
People keep mentioning the 5er animal space. It very rarely gets used, and then almost always it's just as a "everything good is taken, I might as well get 3 food worth of animals instead of going to Day Laborer". Getting breeding set up with it is theoretically possible but requires a big enough action commitment that you're not going to do it without other incentives. Ox Team, for example, gives you fields based on how many rounds are left (up to a maximum) but requires you to have a pair of cows (or maybe just 1 cow, I forget). So there's a nice synergy there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn -
msg tools
mb
I don't think Animal Keeper works with horses.
The text very clearly says "sheep, boars and cattles".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
since 2011 FTW
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
TwitchBot wrote:

As for why it's only available in 4+, I have no idea. It would be completely harmless to use it with smaller numbers of players. (There are a lot of cards like that.)

Hi, as you have mentioned, can you please recommend some 3+/4+/5 cards for 2-P games? I have played only a few times, all solo/ two-player game, but I am eager to bring more cards to the table already. any recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Venables
msg tools
I'm very interested in hearing suggestions for the above post too.

I just made a new topic on this idea before seeing this , but if there are 3+ cards suitable for 2P and 4+ cards suitable for 3P, I'd love to know what people recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.