Hide
13 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Number of Investigators at any time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wyatt Fields
msg tools
-Very new to Arkham horror, I have played one game with 4 other people and claimed victory over Azathoth which was a great feeling after over 2 hours of play.

I have purchased my own copy of the game and attempted to solo with 2 investigators and got my butt kicked. Reading some of the forums I see that many think its very difficult if not impossible to win with 2 or less investigators.

Is there any limit to the number of investigators you can control for solo play? or if i'm only doing it for the experience should I just disregard any investigator limits?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not that experienced myself yet, but I found 2 investigators to be perfectly doable. One lone investigator wasn't that good, because you just can't get around the board fast enough.

Though what matters more than just the number is
- the choice of investigators: they're not equally good to begin with, and some team up way better than others
- the AO for the game: size of the doom track (= time limit) and any powers that might hinder certain numbers of investigators more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Futurezombie wrote:

Is there any limit to the number of investigators you can control for solo play?

No there is no limit. In my experience 4 investigators is a good number, and three works as a challenge. More than four can be difficult to manage.

With time, you'll find a balance of investigator skill sets that works for you and your style of play. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there are any prescribed limits for solo play. Having said that, you should consider the number of monsters that come out with a gate based on the number of investigators. Once you go above four investigators you have to put out two monsters with a gate. So if you are going to play with multiple investigators, four seems to be the sweet spot for this game. I've never tried eight; that seems like it would be a bit unruly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of the day, its your game and you should play it how you want to play. Just bear in mind that the more investigators you add, the more stuff you'll have to keep track of. Most people feel that four is the
"sweet spot" for the game.

Having said that, you might want to look at the Arkham Stats page if you haven't already. The odds of winning do tend to get better with more investigators. The win percentage with two investigators is 53%, so I'm not sure where other's get the idea that its "very difficult if not impossible". It certainly gets harder when you start adding expansions. There is a pretty solid strategy you can play with just the base game (which I won't spoil for you), so eventually you will learn how to win with two.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AliZyklaTCWzcGF...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyatt Fields
msg tools
Awesome thank you for all the great advice. I feel i have a long way to go with Arkham Horror vanilla, but once my strategy is up to muster I cant wait to move on to the expansions. I discovered yesterday that the combo you play has a major impact on the game, especially when your drawing a mythos card after only 2 investigator phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwiw, I'd like to add that when I play solo I usually go for 2-investigator, and it's often Darrell and Jenny. I think they work well together (with Jenny going deputy for the patrol wagon asap).

It's tougher then 3-inv for sure, but I find it hard to properly manage 3 so it kindof evens out as I make way fewer mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't find playing with two investigators more difficult to win, but very difficult to win by sealing/closing all gates or sealing 6 gates. Defeating the Ancient One is easier with only two investigators and that's the only way I've been able to win with two (although I've probably played less than ten times; usually I do four or more).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that 4 investigators is the sweet spot for the game. My girlfriend and I will play each taking 2 investigators. When I am on the road, I play 4 investigators solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Borthwick
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
I think that 4 investigators is the sweet spot for the game. My girlfriend and I will play each taking 2 investigators. When I am on the road, I play 4 investigators solo.

Travel edition? My AH is crammed into three boxes and weighs a tonne!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkhamaniacs,

Tibs will be along soon to provide the math....bottom line, the game works best with four Investigators. You will not win by sealing gates with one Investigator, nor will you win a Final Battle 90% of the ti.e with eight Investigators. I've played more than 100 games solo with 4 tnvestigators and it's brilliant!

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weston
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty new to AH as well (10 plays, 7 solos), and so far, I favor three investigators. With the base game, four feels too easy for me. Three is a tense challenge, plus there's less bookkeeping.

I can certain;y see, however, once I start adding expansions, that four might end up being the sweet spot. But for now, I'm really enjoying the base game with three.

Just wish I could talk more of my friends into playing AH with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Fauxny wrote:
jackalope wrote:

Travel edition? My AH is crammed into three boxes and weighs a tonne!

I use Vassal when I travel. Hard to break out an Arkham set on an airplane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.