Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I tried to avoid this game but I was introduced to it by friends over the weekend and here I am with a base set. I was avoiding it for this very reason; now I have to go out and buy more. But I really love the simplicity of this game where your decisions and strategy can shine without being buried in measurements and other factors in minis games.

Here's the deal though. My normal game group doesn't care about having specific characters or ships. I will be introducing them to this game and not only can I not expect them to just buy their own ahead of time or if they will ever. But they'll play, Darn it!

What is the best way to get minis for 3 to 4 players with cheap simple ships? I don't need Slave One or the Falcon. Just like a bunch of ships so everyone gets a couple or few each.

Also, if you have three people, how do you find someone who isn't Rebel or Alliance? Forgive me for not knowing my Star Wars lore. I really like the game mechanics, I don't know much about the franchise besides seeing the movies once each a super long time ago. I am basically just treating this as a aerial combat game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick R
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you check local classifieds, etc. you can often find people selling off their unused collections for cheap. Not a a bad way to get started. Other than that, there are just all the usual retail options.

If you play with more than 2, I think the most common approach is to form two teams and just assign a given set of ships to each player. As long as the point values are the same on each side, you can divide up the ships however you see fit. For a 2 vs 1, I guess it would make sense to have the 2-player team play Imperials, since they generally field more ships than the Rebels do anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By local classifieds, do you mean here on BGG? I didn't know if it was appropriate to post something in Trades here when I really don't have anything to trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cheapest ships are those in the base game, so if you just want 4 X-Wings and 8 Ties you can buy four base games. If you need some more squadbuilding options, find the stats of the pilots of the X-Wing and Tie-Fighter expansions and some other cards online and proxy them. Later, if (when!) you want to go deeper, you will buy other ships and obtain all those cards with them.

If you care neither about the franchise nor about customizing ships, you may also try Wings of Glory: WW2 Starter Set or Wings of Glory: WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack (the latter does not contain the minis, you can buy them seperately).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick R
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
By local classifieds, do you mean here on BGG? I didn't know if it was appropriate to post something in Trades here when I really don't have anything to trade.

I just mean through gamers in your own town/city/area. Certainly, BGG also has a marketplace, auctions, and other options you can check out. But as the other poster suggested, multiple core sets plus 1 or 2 expansions is an ideal quick-start kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.