Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett the Hammer
United States
Rutland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The gp-index (games played index)

If someone has already thought of this, my apologies.

The h-index

In scholarly publishing there is the concept of the h-index (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-index) that is supposed to be a gauge of sorts of how "good" a scientist/scholar is. When an scholarly article is published it contains a list of references that the author uses to support the article. One can track how many times a particular article has been referenced, or the number of citations. For instance, I might write an article that currently has 1, 2, 5, or 10 citations, meaning 1, 2, 5, or 10 other papers (published after my original article) have referenced my article.

The h-index is supposed to track how prolific and important an author is. The h-index is simply the number of articles (n) with at least n citations. So if I have 8 articles with at least 8 citations each, my h-index is 8. The bigger the number, the more active a scholar is. For instance, a scholar may have an article with 500 citations but a bunch of articles with low number of citations, meaning that this scholar is a "one-hit wonder" of sorts. However if an author has 30 papers with at least 30 citations, this may indicate that the author is an active researcher making many important contributions over time.

Typical h-index values may be 100+ for the top scholars, ~50 for leaders, 20-40 for "good" scholars, and so forth. Of course what h-index is considered "good" is subjective since it depends how old the scholar is, field of study, and other factors. The h-index is also not without controversy and detractors, nor is it the only way to compare scholars, but it is a quick metric to judge a scholar.

The gp-index

What does this have to do with gaming? I propose the gp-index, which is a measure of how prolific a player is. How do you calculate the gp-index? Simply take the number of games (n) that a player has played at least n times. That is, if I've played 6 different games at least 6 times, my gp-index is 6, etc.

Determing a reliable gp-index does require good data, meaning that one should record game plays. For instance, my recorded plays (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/bygame/user/aarondesk/sub...) currently indicates that I have a gp-index of 6. I estimate that my actual gp-index is probably somewhere between 10 and 20, but I don't have hard data to support this number.

What does this mean and why is it important? The gp-index has no real-world repurcussions. If you want to play your favorite game 1000 times, go ahead. But if you want to see how eclectic and broad your gaming tastes are, the gp-index may be a way to quickly determine this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
mine is 27 I believe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you intend with this post?
the h-index is known at bgg (but not as gp-index AFAIK) and has been discussed before: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/spsearch.php?action=search&obje...

On the topic:
I got the idea and like it! (currently my h-index is only 4, but I only started recording plays in Nov. 2013)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
mine is 27 I believe!

according to your collection/logged plays at bgg it is 19 (sort your collection by plays, go down, stop as soon as the number of the game is smaller than its plays; you would stop at Ricochet Robot!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett the Hammer
United States
Rutland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
What do you intend with this post?
the h-index is known at bgg (but not as gp-index AFAIK) and has been discussed before: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/spsearch.php?action=search&obje...

Apparently good ideas pop up frequently and often, and all good ideas have been taken! Consider this merely a reminder that such concepts exist.

I would argue that h-index in the context of the BGG may not be the best nomenclature, since h stand for Hirsch, the originator of the h-index as it pertains to scholarly works, but whether you call it gp-index or h-index it is the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As said, there are already 2 threads discussing the index and a challenge to get up to an index of 10 in 2014: 2014 Challenge: Play 10 Games 10 Times Each

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many geeklists & threads about h-index with respect to games played. Search and ye shall find!

Edited to add (I forgot that friendless's server computes your H-index for you, thanks geki!): mine is 52.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
21 according to http://friendless.servegame.org/dynamic/result/geki

Geki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.