Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Yet feet that wandering have gone
badge
Turn at last to home afar
mbmb
Does anyone know of a program or website that would enable me to cycle 13 students through 6 machines in randomized groups (5 groups of 2, 1 group of 3) so that they get an equal amount of time on each machine with as few repeat partners as possible and in the group of 3 as little as possible?

I hope that made sense. Any help would be very much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mb
Math is hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh. You said 'Chit Chat' not Charlie Chaplin. Nevermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so one of the groups is on a train that departs the station at 0900, going 60 mph, and the other...

....wow. I knew I should have paid more attention in school!

...I never studied...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can help you with twelve, but the thirteenth person throws me. Your going to have to do this on a day when someone is sick or your going to have to fail someone out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shaun L wrote:
Does anyone know of a program or website that would enable me to cycle 13 students through 6 machines in randomized groups (5 groups of 2, 1 group of 3) so that they get an equal amount of time on each machine with as few repeat partners as possible and in the group of 3 as little as possible?

You want to cycle 6 times, so that each person gets an equal amount of time on each machine, while minimizing the number of repeat partners?

If you're cycling 6 times, and you want to minimize the number of times someone is in the group of 3, is it OK to say "machine1 always has 3 people," or does that need to rotate too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a tough one. In the world of Pinewood Derby racing, there is a concept called the Perfect-N Chart that allows you to schedule races so that each participant gets one rotation slot in each lane (station) and balances the competition by making sure that each participant competes against as many different opponents as possible. Maybe something like that may be helpful. Check out this website for examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaky Ulnas
Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
You want to cycle 6 times, so that each person gets an equal amount of time on each machine, while minimizing the number of repeat partners?

If you're cycling 6 times, and you want to minimize the number of times someone is in the group of 3, is it OK to say "machine1 always has 3 people," or does that need to rotate too?

The group of 3 has to rotate through the machines because the 3 instructors each stay with their same 2 machines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaky Ulnas
Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
That's a tough one. In the world of Pinewood Derby racing, there is a concept called the Perfect-N Chart that allows you to schedule races so that each participant gets one rotation slot in each lane (station) and balances the competition by making sure that each participant competes against as many different opponents as possible. Maybe something like that may be helpful. Check out this website for examples.

We'll check it out. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.