Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game of RtL yesterday and a few questions about power dice came up. While I'm sure these have been addressed before I couldn't find a definitive answer during the game so I wanted to get clarification from the crowd.

1) Power potions. How do these work in RtL? Do they just let you roll all 5 power dice as in the base game? (So, essentially worthless for a hero who already has 5 power dice in that type of attack). Or do they give you five more "steps" of power dice? (So a hero with 3 black dice could add 2 more black and upgrade 3 black to silver)

2) When the overlord adds power dice to a monster's roll (such as with the Doom! Power), is it:
A) always a black die?
B) equal to the color of the campaign level?
C) equal to the color of that type of monster?

Can the overlord roll up extra dice into upgrades? Consider a copper campaign with silver eldritch monsters. A silver master dark priest rolls 2 silver and 3 black dice. If the overlord adds a power die with Doom!, what dice should the silver master dark priest roll?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Power Potions give 5 'boosts' to your attack. You can use these boosts to add a black power die, or to increase a power die by one rank (i.e. black to silver, silver to gold). So with one power potion, you could add a silver and gold die to your attack (assuming you didn't already have more than 3 power dice, since you are still limited to 5 power dice in total).

2) Same thing for Overlord, he gains an Overlord *boost* to the die, so can either add a black power die or increase an existing one by one level. I do believe the FAQ (or maybe it was Sea of Blood) changed all the cards/powers/monsters that boosted to equal the rank of the campaign (I could be wrong on that one though, been a while).

3) Yes, the Overlord with Doom! can chance one of those Silvers to a Gold power die.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
1) Power Potions give 5 'boosts' to your attack. You can use these boosts to add a black power die, or to increase a power die by one rank (i.e. black to silver, silver to gold). So with one power potion, you could add a silver and gold die to your attack (assuming you didn't already have more than 3 power dice, since you are still limited to 5 power dice in total).

2) Same thing for Overlord, he gains an Overlord *boost* to the die, so can either add a black power die or increase an existing one by one level. I do believe the FAQ (or maybe it was Sea of Blood) changed all the cards/powers/monsters that boosted to equal the rank of the campaign (I could be wrong on that one though, been a while).

3) Yes, the Overlord with Doom! can chance one of those Silvers to a Gold power die.

-shnar

Shnar has it pretty much spot on. His last sentence of point 2 is incorrect. The OL can boost however he wants. For instance if a Kobold gets Swarm x3, then he may roll 3 black dice, or 1 black and 1 silver or 1 gold dice.

Same thing with point 3, you can choose however you want to upgrade your dice. So for instance a Silver Master Dark Priest normally rolls, White, 3 black and 2 silver dice. You can upgrade any of the power dice by 1. So for instance you can roll with 2 Black and 3 Silver, or 3 black, 1 silver and 1 gold.

The math of it I am a little bit rusty on, but if you want to go for highest hitting potential, you want to upgrade the dice to the fullest potential, if you want more consistency, then you roll the most amount of dice.

For example, with the Kobold, if you want to hit the hardest, you roll a Red and Gold, if you want consistency you roll Red and 3 black. Same with the Master Dark Priest, hardest hitting, White, 3 Black, 1 silver and 1 gold. This matters a lot when you are playing the OL because you generally don't get damage from surges (excluding Dark Priests of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

shnar wrote:
[..]I do believe the FAQ (or maybe it was Sea of Blood) changed all the cards/powers/monsters that boosted to equal the rank of the campaign (I could be wrong on that one though, been a while)

Don't know about SoB, but that's not the case for RtL. See FAQ page 26, question 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.