Forbidden Desert» Forums » General

Subject: Difficulty of game -- #of players and various casts of adventurers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jed Mihalisin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I've been a bit obsessed with this game recently. I've taken to playing it as a solitaire, which works very well.

I'm curious what people's impressions are on a number of related issues. Everything I say below is purely my opinion and I'd enjoy hearing any differing views.

From personal experience and reading this forum, FD seems like a pretty hard game. Luck can be a big factor, but there definitely seems to be a learning curve so you can improve your winning percentage. With ideal play, I think the game will be won a clear majority of the time at the Novice setting for all the various possible numbers of players and casts of characters. (Obviously this does not mean you are likely to win the first few times you play.)

Differing #'s of players --

The Storm Meter attempts to compensate for the fact that more players makes the game harder. Despite that, my impression -- consistent with what I've seen posted -- is that three players is still harder to beat than two. Since the Storm Meter is identical for three versus four, clearly four players is a harder game to beat than three. However, I think five players might be easier than four, especially at the harder start settings. Regardless, I think the ideal play winning percentages for four versus five are close for the various start settings -- certainly closer than the two versus three.

Casts of adventurers --

There are quite a number of different casts possible. (two players -- 15 casts, three players -- 20 casts, four players -- 15 casts, five players -- 6 casts).

Consistent with what I've seen posted, I think the two strongest adventurers are the Climber and the Navigator. If both are included in the cast, they form an especially powerful duo. If I were to rank the various casts, I would divide it along the lines of casts that included both, those that included just one and those that included neither. While I might be obsessed enough to go into this much detail, I doubt anyone else would want to read it.

However, I do have one final opinion that I'm hoping will get some response. I think the strongest cast of 4 would be: Navigator, Climber, Archeologist and Meteorologist. I think the weakest cast of 4 would be: Water Carrier, Explorer, Archeologist and Meteorologist.

I've played the game several times (as a solitaire) with each of these two casts. My impression is that the game with the strong cast (N,C,A&M) at the "Legendary" level is still easier than the game with the weak cast (WC,E,A&M) at the "Elite" level. My results certainly support that, though obviously it's a relatively small sample.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiljan Toonen
Netherlands
Uden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the game 3 times now. 2 times with five players and we lossed. I think with five players it is verry difficult to win. If you don't hide in a duct with five players you will burn faster in the sun i think.

With 2 players we won (lowest difficulty level) yesterday with the Navigator and the Archeolist. I think both casts are strong, because the Archeolist can dig a lot of sand so the stock of sand will be high. The Navigator have walked around the tiles with a lot of sand on it and explores more than the Archeolist. This worked verry well for us. We only have used one well in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested on your solitaire gameplay breakdown. How do you play it solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grejam53 wrote:
How do you play it solo?

I can't speak for the OP but I have played it just by playing two roles just like Pandemic solo and Forbidden Island solo. It works well in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Kri
msg tools
I've played it 3 times now with my GF with different combinations of classes and won each time. Find the game way to easy...

Gonna try the legendary difficulty next time as that's the last one we have not yet tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.