United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
So throughout the years 4x video games have always sucked me in. Every map different than before, resources in different places...remember the beauty of this fresh start in Civ1?

So I started working on a game that made these mechanics as simple as possible with as much replay as possible.

By placing 32 tokens facedown around the start position I captured that explorable black fog that those vids got me hooked on.

In the tokens there are 4 different resources to explore and collect with your Serfs. Oh man how fun was sending out peons to go annihilate a forest?

Mixed into the hidden tokens are 4 good events (found treasure, friendly nomads, good mercenaries, and found resources) 4 bad events (Natural disaster, plague, thieves, and barbarians) and 4 "technologies" (the wheel to improve movement, a scout to reveal some of the hidden tokens to just you, a gold mine to boost your spending power, and a tunnel so you can infiltrate your opponent's board easier.

So yay! An explorable and exploitedable map that changes every time you play. Since every player has 32 field grids and there are 16 unique tokens, there are 10.2 octillion ways that the tokens could be ordered around your start points! Every game would be different.

Has this exploration mechanic been done?

To round out the other two "X"s expand and exterminate, I added a small fortress and two attackers called soldiers. At your start point you have an empty fortress grid. You can build 4 buildings for added bonuses and abilities (Market, tradesmith, Granary, Barracks) walls to protect your buildings and 4 turrets to protect the land around your fortress. Expansion!

The soldiers are built and can eXterminate the other player's Serfs or Soldiers. They can also raze resources and buildings on your enemy's land. When you raze a resource you steal a gold piece from your opponent and place a control marker on the resource token. The control marker allows you to collect that resource on your opponent's turn.

Now I know some of these expanding and exterminating things have been done before. Which games are these mechanics in?

Thanks for racking your brains!

Oh, guess I should tell you how it ends. I wanted it to play like a Eurogame where you manage resources and if you want no conflict, you don't have to. But, I also love Risk and I always wished I could have somehow wiped out my opponent's city in Settlers, so we developed 3 victory conditions to accommodate the builders and the bloodthirsty. You can hoard all the gold, you can just sit back and complete your entire fortress, or you can be a thorn in your opponent's side and place all your control markers on your opponent's board for the win.

What do you guys think?

For the visual among us, here is a pic of the prototype game in play

Also if you want to try it out and let me know what you think, the print and play is here Serfs and Soldiers

We created a resource tracker so you only have to print 4 pages of components and not all the cards.

Thanks for reading! Because I had never seen it, I was interested in hearing of other games with the same or similar exploration mechanic, but also chime in if you read this far and you never have heard of that game mechanic. This could give me a better idea of how common or uncommon it really is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
0Shea0 wrote:

If I understand, you're talking about randomly revealed tiles to explore an unknown map? That has been done in many many boardgames through the past several decades... Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
Mostly yes. Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame uses an area map of the world. Each area starts with an unexplored token that could be a resource, special terrain, event, technology or nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Much?
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
0Shea0 wrote:

If I understand, you're talking about randomly revealed tiles to explore an unknown map? That has been done in many many boardgames through the past several decades... Am I missing something?

Randomly revealed! That's the phrase I'm going for.

Haha not missing anything, I was, that's why I asked you! I've played games where the resources are set and games where you randomly arranged resources and where you randomly build the map as part of playing, but as more of a casual gamer and frequent do it your selfer, I really just need more game immersion, thanks for getting back to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Much?
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
D-Rider wrote:
Mostly yes. Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame uses an area map of the world. Each area starts with an unexplored token that could be a resource, special terrain, event, technology or nothing.

Oh man! I've actually played that game a couple times forever ago. All I remember is that it was awesome, but it took forever to play. I'll have to check it out again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Cultures uses random exploration as well. It uses hexes instead of squares and there are some rules like you have to be place it such that you entered on land and water touches water and such, but it does create a new and unique map each time you play. The exploration is one of my favorite things about that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Much?
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Yoren wrote:
Clash of Cultures uses random exploration as well. It uses hexes instead of squares and there are some rules like you have to be place it such that you entered on land and water touches water and such, but it does create a new and unique map each time you play. The exploration is one of my favorite things about that game.

This clash of cultures game looks rad! Gots to try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my attempt at that mechanic....

Stormtower wrote:
Rise of the Proletariat

Overview:
Rise of the Proletariat is a two player game of Exploration, Expansion, Exploitation, and Extermination. It is played with tokens that represent resources, settlements, and army units.

discussion on this version starts here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.