Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was the TO at Store Championships in my city and so it seemed I will not play in any of those. But then a tournament in Szczecin was announced and I planned to go there for the weekend anyway as my girlfriend (who also plays Netrunner) studies in that city so we decided we’d spend Saturday playing. As she had an exam in the morning, we had to wake up really early. After the exam we waited a bit for the TO and went to the tournament place in his car. It was a small pub in a village near Szczecin which on this day was fully used by gamers (together with the SC a Magic Grand Prix Trial was held).

10 people turned up for Netrunner. We decided to play 5 rounds anyway. The decks I chose were HB “Ash Advance” glacier build and Chaos Theory with Account Syphons. I played that corp a bit on OCTGN and at a tournament a week ago (went 3-2 then), the runner was quite new to me, though I played some Shaper Siphon builds before. This time I decided to build a simple and fast runner, with Magnum Opus, 3 breakers and lots of events for surprise.

Chaos Theory: Wunderkind

Event (23)
2 Account Siphon ••••• •••
1 Blackmail
3 Diesel
2 Dirty Laundry
1 Escher
2 Indexing
2 Infiltration
2 Levy AR Lab Access
2 Quality Time
1 Stimhack
3 Sure Gamble
2 Tinkering

Hardware (4)
2 Plascrete Carapace
2 R&D Interface

Resource (3)
3 Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (5)
2 Corroder ••••
1 Ninja ••
1 Torch
1 ZU.13 Key Master

Program (6)
3 Magnum Opus
3 Self-modifying Code

Having a quick runner, I could use more time as the corp. This deck was all about inevitability. 14 economy cards meant there was no way to keep me poor, and once I stabilized I could score with no problems (while Eli, Caduceus and NEXT Bronze bought me time to do this). I didn’t want fancy tricks in the deck. Just agendas, money, ice, Ash and Jackson.

Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future

Agenda (9)
3 Accelerated Beta Test
1 Director Haas' Pet Project
3 Priority Requisition
2 Project Vitruvius

Asset (10)
3 Adonis Campaign
2 Eve Campaign
3 Jackson Howard •••
2 Melange Mining Corp

Upgrade (3)
3 Ash 2X3ZB9CY

Operation (7)
3 Hedge Fund
2 Restructure
2 Subliminal Messaging

Barrier (7)
3 Eli 1.0
2 Heimdall 2.0
2 Wall of Thorns ••

Code Gate (7)
3 NEXT Bronze
2 Tollbooth ••••
2 Viktor 2.0

Sentry (6)
3 Caduceus ••••• •
3 Ichi 1.0

Round 1: against Marta (Kit/Jinteki PE)
She was a very beginner player and came here for experience (IIRC she played something like 5 games before). Seeing Personal Evolution, I had to be careful anyway, to not kill myself. So I got a Magnum Opus, got a Ninja, good amount of credits, full hand and started running (she was at 1 point then). Soon my other breakers joined and it was easy to finish the game. Most notable moment: Indexing that showed me 5 agendas including 2 Fetal AI. As Kit she was setting up slowly, allowing me to build all servers I needed and score 7 points without any problems.

2-0, 4 points

Round 2: against Marcin (Kate/HB EtF)
He was the only other player who won his first round match. He ran first. I was a bit worried when I saw Magnum Opus. But then, instead of getting some breakers, lots of cash and running, he preferred to install further expensive cards (incl. Professional Contacts) so I was given enough time to make my servers to expensive to run regularly even with MO economy. He got into my R&D a few times but couldn’t find enough points before I scored all I needed. His HB used fast advancing, so I had to hammer his centrals. I watched out for Jackson, killed him when I could and played Indexing a lot, which allowed me to get enough agendas before he got enough Biotic Labors to finish the game.

2-0, 8 points

Round 3: against Sidzej (Reina Roja/NBN TWiY*)
He told me his runner deck isn’t working and he was right (in the end he was 5-0 as corp and 1-4 as runner). Still I had to watch out for Anarch tricks. He was eating my ice with Parasites, making it expensive to rez with Rook and tried to set up Keyhole runs. So I had to install and reinstall ice on centrals. After some time I made a mistake – rezzed Caduceus on R&D run when I had 5 credits and he could beat the first trace. I was left with 1 credit, unrezzed NEXT Bronze as the only HQ ice and a hand of nothing but two agendas. He decided to check my hand and scored 4 points. I also had a scoring remote set up and some points, but now I could not let him score a Priority Requisition. Luckily he was low on breakers and I rebuilt my bankroll quickly (had Adonis, Eve and MMC installed). After some time he managed a Keyhole run and trashed 3 points into the archives. Luckily he spend all his clicks to do this, so I had a turn to setup some temporary defence. This was enough to give me one more turn that I used to score Director Haas’ Pet Project I already had in my remote, setting up a new remote with agenda and Ash from archives and a piece of ice from hand. Once I saved and score this agenda, finishing the game was easy. This game my corp did a significant amount of damage – he facechecked my Wall of Thorns twice, both times with exactly two cards, and got 3 brain damage in total (mostly by click breaking Heimdall 2.0 I had on R&D). As corp, he quickly built an enormous tower on R&D (Tollbooth, Archer, and some more things I didn’t even bother checking, turned out later to be another Archer, Pop-up and some barrier) and I couldn’t draw Siphon to make him too poor to score. So I tried to get to Siphon or any other trick but wasn’t fast enough (I spend lots of credits trashing his SanSans) and he scored 7 points.

1-1, 10 points

Round 4: against Filip (Chaos Theory/NBN: MN)
He played carefully as a runner, putting lots of pressure on me. I had to secure all the servers so it took me a lot of time to start scoring. But finally my economy got rolling, I set up a big server with 4 layers of ice and 2 Ashes installed and got agendas through it one after another. This was a really interesting game, the most challenging during the whole tournament. As runner, I knew I play against Accelerated Diagnostics combo aiming at Shipment from SanSan/Project Beale tricks. His R&D was lightly defended (single Wall of Static) so I got MO, Ninja and Corroder out and started Indexing. This and a few random runs allowed me to score 7 points before he got the combo.

2-0, 14 points

Round 5: against Asia (Andromeda/NBN: TWiY*)
So at this point my score was 14, 4 more than anyone else. My girlfriend, who in past tournaments usually fought to avoid placing last, this time split her first 3 matches and won the fourth round (my guess is she was too tired and sleepy to remember that at a tournament you ought to be nervous and make mistakes ). She was third at this point and I already played people who were second and fourth, so we got paired against each other. After some mandatory jokes about me sleeping outside today if I dare to win we started the match. It was quite strange experience. I knew her decklists by heart. Usually I build the decks for both of us, then we test and she tweaks hers a bit, but due to the exam she had no time to play at all for two weeks, so she just told me she wants her usual Andromeda deck and a corp that’s fast and easy to play (I gave her Astrobiotics). The games ended up not being very interesting, they were decided by problems with drawing breakers. First I could not find a Corroder or and SMC (while she had Ice Wall and Wraparound on R&D and HQ, and Chimera at a remote where she scored) and before I got one she already was at 6 points and had an Astro token. The second game she could not get Yog.0 so a NEXT Bronze guarded my HQ long enough for my economy to explode and once I was over 30 credits I didn’t have to worry about Criminal tricks and scored easily while she tried to get something out of my R&D.

1-1, 16 points

This result was enough for me to finish the tournament at the first place, with Asia taking third and my round 3 and 4 opponents finishing fourth and second. As the tournament was small, participation prize was a full playset of Kati Jones and the TO decided to award the deckboxes to sixth and seventh placed players (top 5 got mats) so that as many people as possible get special prizes which was very nice. Additionally I ended up with a really nice winner plaque and the Regionals Bye certificate, so I guess I’ll have to find time to go to some other city to play in one (as I will be the TO at the Regional Tournament in Wrocław).

If anyone is interested, 3rd place decks are here - but those are very standard builds meant to be playable with no practice at all
http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/mCY7tyt8cZdaM7joG/
http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/6EGxd7zoBPxwR7agS/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lech Karol Pawłaszek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks hisale for the report. I wanted to write something on my own, but the SO was pretty small and hisale already written the most interesting parts.

Also I would like to thank you for your help with the organization and handling the event. Much appreciated.

I would like to point out that hisale is not from Szczecin and he crushed our meta.

hisale venid, vidid, vicid us so to speak.

As for the fifth playmat - I am so sad panda that I "had" to let it go (it is so beautiful!), but it felt inappropriate to take it and playing in the tournament

Anyway - I hope that'll we be able to have another tourney here in Szczecin and you'll be able to attend. We need some revenge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.