BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules this seems to be a valid play:

1. Play an Explorer - adds 2 trade to your "pool" of trade
2. Scrap Explorer - adds 2 attack to your "pool" of attack
3. Use your pool of trade to re-acquire the Explorer you just scrapped

This is especially useful when the Explorer pile is empty, but seems a little strange. I cannot find anything in the rules that would disallow this. Can anyone confirm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Conradie
Canada
Rossland
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, I just saw this thread in the General section that confirms that the play is indeed legal. I will leave this post in case someone else looks for it under the Rules section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, it sounds somewhat strange, but keep in mind that the explorer - if used in the way you described - is merely a two combat card with no other effects - pretty weak actually

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, a lot of folks forget just how little time you have in this game. If you ever find yourself in exactly this situation, you aren't playing a very strong game because it assumes you AND your opponent haven't been going after better cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
I was playing against Frank when this came up, and in both cases there were no other money plays to be made. We had a bunch of high powered outposts and planets in the middle, and we each got hand draws with too little coin to purchase anything.

So the play-trash-buy back was actually a viable strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
Yup, a lot of folks forget just how little time you have in this game. If you ever find yourself in exactly this situation, you aren't playing a very strong game because it assumes you AND your opponent haven't been going after better cards.

I wouldn't be this harsh.

If there's nothing to buy for 2, this is the clever thing to do ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Picioccio
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think this is impossible. Using the scrap ability on explorers doesn't put them back in the explorer pile; they go in the scrap pile. Unless you have a specific ability that lets you pull a card out of the scrap pile, you can't re-acquire cards in the scrap pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mopic42 wrote:
I would think this is impossible. Using the scrap ability on explorers doesn't put them back in the explorer pile; they go in the scrap pile. Unless you have a specific ability that lets you pull a card out of the scrap pile, you can't re-acquire cards in the scrap pile.

Wrong. Quote from the rules, fourth column, section "Scrapping cards":

"If an Explorer would be placed in the Scrap Heap for any reason, instead place it face-up in the Explorer pile."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.