Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very stupid question, I know, but I don't think I'm grasping the correct way that the upgrades occur. If I have a 4 Energy plant and I upgrade to a 5 energy plant, do I now have 5 energy cubes total or 9 energy cubes? It seems that playing it to where you have 9 energy and keep adding energy like that there will not be enough energy cubes once everyone starts to reach the level 3 and up power plants. We've played it both ways and the only going up 1 energy scenario seems to make the most sense.

But if the 5 way is correct and later on in the game I get a 7 energy plant but I already have 8 cubes from other game effects, then it seems to be a waste of the upgrade if I already have 2 activations. This is why I'm not sure of the correct way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Are you spending energy cubes to activate buildings? Because you are suppose to be doing that which returns cubes to the supply. I will say that I have played this game once as a 5 player game and in the last round yes we ran out of yellow energy cubes but it was only for a moment until people started spending the cubes again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thoia is correct. Unless you have a very efficient city and are grabbing everyone else's tourist (which act as energy) you should be spending those cubes. At the end of the Era you are taking them off and putting them back into the supply.

As thoia mentioned, lack of cubes should be momentary but if it is longer (which isn't typical) you can use anything you want, pennies, prestige tokens, etc to make up the difference until some come available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I am. The question is regarding how much energy would be received off of the example. I need to know if I'm adding/gaining the total energy for the new power plant or just increasing it 1-3 energy depending on how large the new power plant is compared to my old one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Knop
Brazil
Juiz de Fora
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
badge
No disassemble! Vídeos de Partidas Completas Passo a Passo
mbmbmbmbmb
That excess energy occurred here too because we was ignoring the printed cubes in the tiles!

Check if, in example, you are using two cubes for the first activation of Hotel/City Hall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are gaining the additional energy the new Powerplant is granting you and adding it to any energy that you still possess on your old Powerplant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So are you saying that at the end of the era phase all of the energy that was gained and placed for activations goes back to the General supply or back onto my power plants?

I think that what you're saying is that I would gain the total power for the new plant + what I had for the old plant, so 9 total for my example but then it all goes away and re-sets according to the current power plant at the end of the era. That would also make it so that players don't have the 20-30 power cubes at the end of the game like I saw, which made it so that there was not enough energy in the GENERAL supply for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Boaventura
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, the energy that was gained and placed for activations goes back to the General suply. The Power Plant energy remains on it. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
rccoll wrote:
So are you saying that at the end of the era phase all of the energy that was gained and placed for activations goes back to the General supply or back onto my power plants?

I think that what you're saying is that I would gain the total power for the new plant + what I had for the old plant, so 9 total for my example but then it all goes away and re-sets according to the current power plant at the end of the era. That would also make it so that players don't have the 20-30 power cubes at the end of the game like I saw, which made it so that there was not enough energy in the GENERAL supply for everyone.

Are you asking if you have a power plant that supplied 4 cubes and you used them all then upgraded to a 5 cube plant do you then get 9 (4 + 5) cubes with the upgrade? If that is your question, I think the answer is no, you only get 5 more cubes in addition to what is left of the initial allotment of cubes. As I understand the rules, if your 4 cube power plant only had 1 cube left at the time of the upgrade, you would keep the 1 cube and add 5 more for a total of 6 available for use. You only get cubes for the new plant, not a restocking of any old plants. Its like the new power plant replaces the old one rather than adding to it.

Also, as I understand the rules, energy cubes remaining on the power plant (these are cubes that have not yet been used to activate a building) at the end of an era remain on the power plant available for use in the new era. However, no cubes are added until the plant is upgraded.

If my understanding is incorrect, I would like to be corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Boaventura
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnpusher wrote:

Are you asking if you have a power plant that supplied 4 cubes and you used them all then upgraded to a 5 cube plant do you then get 9 (4 + 5) cubes with the upgrade? If that is your question, I think the answer is no, you only get 5 more cubes in addition to what is left of the initial allotment of cubes. As I understand the rules, if your 4 cube power plant only had 1 cube left at the time of the upgrade, you would keep the 1 cube and add 5 more for a total of 6 available for use. You only get cubes for the new plant, not a restocking of any old plants. Its like the new power plant replaces the old one rather than adding to it.

Also, as I understand the rules, energy cubes remaining on the power plant (these are cubes that have not yet been used to activate a building) at the end of an era remain on the power plant available for use in the new era. However, no cubes are added until the plant is upgraded.

If my understanding is incorrect, I would like to be corrected.

My question was more of a...I had 4 energy cubes, did not use them, and then got a new power plant of 5, so it does sound like it would then be 9 cubes, and then as they are used they go back into General Supply during the end of an era clean up phase.

I've got it now. Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup you got it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.