A Distant Plain» Forums » General

Subject: A guide to achieving and preventing victory conditions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Kouba

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmb
I was thinking about how best to explain this game to new players. It always helps me to think in terms of how do I win, and what can I do to get there.

To that end, here is a guide to how each faction wins, what they can do to achieve those victory conditions, and what other factions can do to prevent them from winning. If I've left something out or gotten something wrong, pleae highlight it in the comments.

ADP can be a two steps forward, one step back game at times. You try to get ahead, but other factions erase your gains. That interplay between all four factions is what makes the game so fascinating to me.

I'm just discussing operations and special activities here. Events can affect any of these in various ways.

When discussing control of spaces below, keep in mind that...

- COIN control is Coalition + Government pieces outnumber other factions combined
- Taliban control is Taliban pieces outnumber other factions combined
- Uncontrolled means neither Taliban nor COIN control

Coalition: Total Population in Support plus the number of pieces in the Coalition Available Forces box exceeds 30.

How does Coalition build support?

Train operation, along with Civic Action in one space (only requires COIN control)
Civic Action in a Propaganda Round Support Phase (here it requires COIN control, troops and police)

How do other factions lower support?

Taliban Rally - can do Sharia in one space to lower Support, regardless of control
Taliban can do Sharia in a Propaganda Round Support Phase to lower Support, requires control
Insurgent Terror operation

Government Govern special activity - can set a space to Neutral

How does Coalition put pieces back in Available Forces?

Surge special activity

Government: Total COIN-Controlled Population plus Patronage exceeds 35.

How does Government achieve COIN control? (ie end up with the most pieces in a space)

Coalition and Government Train operation - can put Government cubes on the board
Coalition and Government Sweep operation - can move Government cubes into adjacent spaces
Coalition and Government Assault operation - can remove Insurgent pieces from spaces

Coalition Surge special activity - can move Coalition pieces to the board
Coalition Air Lift special activity - can move Coalition and Government troops among spaces
Coalition Air Strike special activity - can remove Insurgent pieces

Government Transport special activity - can move Government troops along LOCs to other spaces
Government Eradicate special activity - can remove Warlord bases

How do other factions prevent COIN control?

Insurgent Rally - places pieces on the board
Insurgent March - moves pieces into adjacent spaces
Insurgent Attack - can remove other factions' pieces

Taliban Infiltrate special activity - can replace Government pieces
Taliban Ambush special activity - helps ensure successful Attacks, which remove other factions' pieces

Warlords Cultivate special activity - places Warlord bases
Warlords Suborn special activity - can remove Government cubes or bases

How does Government build Patronage?

Government Govern special activity - transfers the Population value from Aid to Patronage, there must be no Coalition Base there
Government Eradicate special activity - increases Patronage by 1

Warlord Traffic special activity - If the space is COIN-Controlled, add +1 Patronage

How do other factions lower Patronage?

The Government may voluntarily transfer Patronage to Warlord Resources, 1 for 1, when either Faction is executing an Operation, Special Activity, or Event.

Coaltion Train - can transfer Patronage to Government resources

Taliban Infiltrate special activity - reduces Patronage by 1 per Government piece that was removed

Note: The Coalition needs COIN control in spaces in order to increase Support, which is how it wins. But, achieving COIN control in spaces also helps the Government achieve its victory conditions. This can be a tricky balancing act for the Coalition!

Taliban: Total Population in Opposition plus the number of Taliban Bases on the map exceeds 20.

How does Taliban build opposition?

Taliban Rally - can do Sharia in one space to lower Support, regardless of control
Taliban can do Sharia in a Propaganda Round Support Phase to lower Support, need control
Insurgent Terror operation

Government Eradicate special activity - pushes a Province towards Opposition

How do other factions lower opposition?

COIN Train operation, along with Civic Action in one space (only requires COIN control)
Civic Action in a Propaganda Round Support Phase (here it requires COIN control, troops and police

Warlord Terror - moves a space to Neutral

Government Govern special activity - can set a space to Neutral

How does Taliban increase number of bases?

Rally operation

How do other factions lower number of Taliban bases?

Coalition and Government Assault operation - can remove Taliban pieces from spaces
Warlord Attack - can remove Taliban pieces

Coalition Air Strike special activity - can remove Taliban pieces

Warlords: Total Uncontrolled Population within Afghanistan exceeds 15 and Warlord Resources exceed 40.

How do Warlords create uncontrolled Population?

See above for how Warlords can prevent control or remove pieces from spaces

Warlord Cultivate special activity - can place bases

How do other factions achieve controlled Population?

See above for how COIN and Taliban control is achieved

How do Warlords increase Resources?

The Government may voluntarily transfer Patronage to Warlord Resources, 1 for 1, when either Faction is executing an Operation, Special Activity, or Event

Factions other than the Coalition may voluntarily transfer resources to others at any time

If a Government Sweep, Government transfers 1 Resource to Warlords (if it has any) for each LoC entered containing any guerrillas

Government Transport special activity - Government transfers 1 Resource to Warlords (if it has any) for each space entered

Coalition Surge special activity - can increase Warlord resources

Warlord Traffic special activity

During Propaganda Round, increase resources by the number of Warlord bases on map plus the number of Warlord guerrillas on unSabotaged LoCs

How do other factions lower Warlords resources?

(obviously, Warlords paying for operations or special activities like Suborn lowers resources; Warlords can transfer resources to other factions)

Taliban Extort special activity

reduce number of Warlord bases and keep Warlord guerillas off unsabotaged LoCs during Propaganda Round

Aid

How is Aid increased?

For each Taliban Base removed by Government Assault, add +6 Aid

Coalition Surge special activity - can increase Aid

Government Eradicate special activity - increase Aid by 3

How is Aid decreased?

Government Govern special activity - transfers the Population value from Aid to Patronage, there must be no Coalition Base there

During Propaganda Round, subtract from Aid 3 times the number of pieces in the Casualties box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once people chime in, may I suggest formatting and uploading this to the Files section? It'll be easier for newcomers to find that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Tewksbury
United States
Fitchburg
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this is great - the push/pull of the various VCs is key to understanding how to win - and the relationship between the different foe's VCs are not one for one/linear... e.g. Taliban wants Opposition, but the Govt doesn't directly care about Opposition...

nice write up and would be good to have some sort of graphical relationship showing these
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taliban terror reduces support if I'm not mistaken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what we tried to do with the Faction Interaction Chart on page 16 of the Playbook.
A Distant Plain Faction Interaction Chart
It was developed and first posted here on BGG by
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and we liked it so much we put it in the playbook; a similar chart will be included in Fire in the Lake.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kouba

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
Taliban terror reduces support if I'm not mistaken.

Yup. Under "How do other factions lower support?" I had said "Insurgent Terror operation", instead of just Taliban terror, as the Warlords can do Terror as well.

And thanks, Brian, for reminding me of that chart!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. I found the chart one of the most useful things when explaining or introducing people to the game; they just needed a prompt about how their actions would help or harm others.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This chart is also very good. I used it to teach 3 new players in one setting. It cut the normal learning curve substantially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed; it's very nice!

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.