Jeremiah Reynolds
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have kids. We love our kids. It's tough to have enough energy at the end of the night to play a full game, and I don't always want to play a short game.

I'm looking for games that meet these simple requirements:

1 - 2 players
2 - if you walk away for a night, you don't have to think too hard to regain your place

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The type of games that immediately jumps to mind are those that can be played asynchronously, and of course this leads me to my favorite game genre, Abstracts.

I see that you own Chess and Go. Both would work as you describe.

The only other game that you own that leaps out as appropriate is Statis Pro Basketball. Although I have not played the Basketball version, I have certainly played SP Football and SP Baseball over multiple sittings.

But you have it listed as for trade, so maybe that's not a very helpful suggestion . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales of the Arabian Nights

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All cooperative games work well this way.
You have to make a few notes about your strategy and your plans for the next move before you put the game aside, but because the during the game you always talk about strategy and next moves, this is no extra effort. When resuming the game the next evening, read the notes and start discussing if what you have written down is still a good idea after some hours of sleep ;-)

You do own Flash Point and Pandemic. Even Mage Knight is a very good candidate for a multi-evening game (I never manage to play Mage Knight in one sitting).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys xxx
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends if you need to put away the game every time after playing or if you can leave it out on the table.
Mage Knight works well if can leave the game set up.
If you need to put it away Galaxy Trucker could be an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Bazar
United States
Visalia
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
BORKEN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Reynolds
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yshild wrote:
Depends if you need to put away the game every time after playing or if you can leave it out on the table.

I can leave it on the table, no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emoboy44 wrote:
yshild wrote:

I can leave it on the table, no problem.

Yeah we have done Mage Knight, Robinson Crusoe, Duel of Ages, Legends of Andor, etc. all set up from night to night. Frequently we have to do that as our kids are playing with us and they have an 8:30 bedtime. We just make sure we "pause" after the final step of a turn so the next day we know right where we are starting at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) is fun for father-vs-child, and it lends itself excellently to breaking it up into two nights. In fact, it was designed that way. Plus, the gameplay is mostly tactical, so picking up where you were is pretty easy. You take a look at the board and you immediately remember what you planned on doing--which is pretty much always just 'kill the other player's pieces'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.