Subject: Vassal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sigon Steele
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
So what are the chances of this ever being made into a Vassal module?

I like the game and would love to play it with other people, but seeing as it is a "non-mainstream" and rare game, finding time to play, people to play with is difficult enough. I would love to see this on vassal and play with other people who love this cult classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan hayden
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be incredible! I probably don't have the time right now to prep the mod but what does it usually take to do it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sigon Steele
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
From what I have read it seems like it would be simple to do, but I have not made a module for vassal before. I was going to give at an amateur try if I got the time,(with permissions of course) but figured I would post here to see if there were any more experienced people willing to give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan hayden
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to give it a try please do. I know I don't have time to do it well right now. We are all for it. If it so happens they need original art let me know. I could imagine a mountain of work where cards are concerned.

All art files have extra stuff for bleed so cutting out each one could take forever.

I'd very much like to play it on Vassal so maybe I can figure out a method to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Mitchell
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the time to work on it myself either, but it is likely that a lot of the bleed removal etc can be automated. I expect some scripting with ImageMagick would due the trick and be a lot quicker than doing each card individually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This WOULD be cool. If anyone gets into it, do post here. We might be able to divide up effort.

For card art in other modules, I've taken to scanning in my games cards. It's a bit long and tedious, and obviously lossy compared to the original art.

That said, as a software engineer, I second the use of ImageMagick if there is a transformation algorithm that can be applied to the original art to make it "VASSAL" friendly.

Copies of the board piece art would be vital too - my scanner is a Doxie, so I don't think I could scan them easily (my flatbed died !)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan hayden
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can try to do this. Maybe work a little everyday.

As far as tile placement would vassal have a problem with that? They could be rotated in a variety of ways. I would imagine many games with tiles on vassal but rotating I'm unsure.

EDIT: must read http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Creating_Modules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sigon Steele
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
Glad to hear you are willing to give it a go, best of luck
It would make playing this game with friends and others easier and more accessible if it were on vassal. I hope you can find some people to help who know the system better than I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WORELOF PENDRAGON
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too would love to play this on vassal.I'm surprised no one has done this yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mini Blackwizard
United States
Cold Cliff Castle
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We took stock of what it would take to do this, and none of us have the time to spare unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.