Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Just got Cyclades, played my first game Saturday night. Lots of fun even though I was vanquished.

I'm wondering if anyone else has the same problem I do with the game board. When I form the board for a four-player game, the circles do not match up properly. I can get some to line up, but then others don't. If I slide the boards to match up the ones that don't, then the ones that were matching no longer do so. It's not a big issue; the circles are close enough that it's evident which spaces are where. It does however work a hardship upon my strange and neurotic mind; I sit there, trying to concentrate on bids and mythological creatures, only to stare fixedly at those unaligned circles, my soul filling with a nameless dread.

Anyone else's board like this?

Thanks! Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Are you sure that the two boards you're putting together are both for the 4-player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrysm wrote:

Are you sure that the two boards you're putting together are both for the 4-player game?

Yes, I made sure both boards said "4", and I checked them against the starting layouts given in the rulebook.

I e-mailed Matagot about it, and was told that they're all like that, so mailing me a replacement wouldn't help. That's all well and good, but if everyone's board was printed like that, I'd expect to find threads about it, which I haven't (maybe I overlooked them.) I thought I'd post here to gauge how many other folks have this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brown
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you take a photo and post it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to remember there was an issue with the boards and they included an extra board in the box. Do you have an extra board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, just two boards. I should add that the rest of the layouts look ok - that is, the circles all match up. It's only when I assemble the 4-player version that I encounter this problem.

I'm not sure how to post a picture. I went to insert image, and it wanted a url. The image is stored on my phone. Sorry, my tech skills kinda suck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh there we go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked my boards - 2/3 player and 5 player line up correctly but 4 player is a little off. If you middle the 4 player boards though the misalignment is slight.

To be honest, I hadn't noticed so if it bugs you I guess your best option is just not to play 4-player!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nothing that'll keep me from playing the game; I was just curious how widespread the issue was. Thanks for taking the time to check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brown
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll check mine too, I never noticed it, but I don't think I've played 4 player...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MichaƂ M
Poland
flag msg tools
My copy that I bought 1 month ago has same issue. I don't find it annoying but I can see it. My friend bought a copy few years ago but his copy is fine. As far as I remember his board elements are bending in same place and im my copy they bend in other places (~1/4 and ~3/4).
You may say that they flip vertically but i remember playing a 4 player game on both and there is a difference.

I just think that is coused by an issue that they had in some copies. 1 element of a board had a bug and they were sending both correct board and positioning rules for bad boards.
Maybe this issue mantioned in this thread concerns reprinted elements. They just were replacing 1 board element in "not yet sold" copies and it's graphic project doesn't fully fit the old one. They should replace both but that would cost more money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michasm wrote:
My copy that I bought 1 month ago has same issue. I don't find it annoying but I can see it. My friend bought a copy few years ago but his copy is fine. As far as I remember his board elements are bending in same place and im my copy they bend in other places (~1/4 and ~3/4).
You may say that they flip vertically but i remember playing a 4 player game on both and there is a difference.

I just think that is coused by an issue that they had in some copies. 1 element of a board had a bug and they were sending both correct board and positioning rules for bad boards.
Maybe this issue mantioned in this thread concerns reprinted elements. They just were replacing 1 board element in "not yet sold" copies and it's graphic project doesn't fully fit the old one. They should replace both but that would cost more money.

I've read about the issue with the boards, and your theory seems pretty reasonable - the replacements might not have matched the older print run.

Like I said, it's very minor, and despite my hyperbolic description above, doesn't interfere with game play in the least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...that would annoy me too. I just bought a used copy (waiting for it in the mail), we'll see how that one looks because I will mostly likely be only playing 4 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
Hmm...that would annoy me too. I just bought a used copy (waiting for it in the mail), we'll see how that one looks because I will mostly likely be only playing 4 player games.

Well, maybe you'll end up with an older copy that doesn't have the issue.

I've figured out a way to slide the boards around to minimize the effect, although it's impossible to get it all to line up completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, my copy is misaligned too. Oh well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.