Subject: Force March rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rafael saiz perez
Spain
cordoba
cordoba
flag msg tools
The interpretation of this card is not very clear to me because of its wording: "Light, Grenadier, Guard infantry units and infantry units with an attached Leader may move up to 2 hexes and battle. Other infantry units may hold, ...".

"Light, Grenadier, Guard infantry units"
Is Light = Light, Rifle Light? What about Line Infantry and Militia?
Is Grenadier = Grenadier, Guard Grenadier?
Is Guard = Young Guard, Old Guard, Guard Grenadier?

"...infantry units with an attached Leader"
Do Light, Grenadier and Guard Infantry force march without the need of an attached Leader?
If this is the case, which units would benefit of an attached Leader in order to force march?

"Other infantry units may hold..."
Which units are those? I guess it depends on the answers to the previous questions.

It is a bit confusing for me. I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Brennan
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Light Infantry are those with the hunting horn symbol on them. Those units generally cannot battle if they move two hexes.
Similarly, Grenadiers have the grenade symbol on the counter.
As for the "Guards," I'd say it's any Guard unit... those than normally ignore two flags.

So, the benefit of the card is to allow infantry units with attached leaders to move two spaces and still attack (ranged or melee). Normally none of them can do that. And the Austrian Line Infantry and Militia still can't, even with the card.

Infantry units without an attached leader---other than Austrian Line and Militia---can move two hexes but not battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One question we had in our game yesterday: troops that hold, are they allowed to battle? The card states "Other units can hold, move one hex and battle or move two hexes and not battle." Not very clear ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rafael saiz perez
Spain
cordoba
cordoba
flag msg tools
I have the 1st edition of the game so no symbols on the units.

Anyway, checking the 2nd edition rulebook and from what you say:

- Light Infantry, Rifle Light Infantry, Grenadier Infantry, Old Guard Infantry, Guard Grenadier Infantry and Young Guard Infantry without an attached leader can move up to 2 hexes and battle .

- Line Infantry with an attached leader can move up to 2 hexes and battle.

- Line Infantry and Militia without an attached leader can hold, move 1 hex and battle or move 2 hexes and not battle.

Is this correct?

And why the Militia is excluded from the benefit of an attached leader? I don´t know if this was a later clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Brennan
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Essentially, playing a Force March card allows any Infantry unit to move two spaces. If they have an attached leader, they can move two spaces AND battle.

Any Infantry unit can normally hold position and battle, or move one hex and battle. Therefore, an infantry unit without an attached leader that is activated by a Force March card can still do that. They move and battle normally, in other words.

Since the card can activate all the Infantry units in one section, you could potentially activate seven, eight, or even more units with this card. That can be devastating.

Only the Austrians lose the two space benefit of the card, and then only for their Line Infantry and Militia Infantry. So French, Russian, and Spanish Militia do get the benefit of the Force March card (move two spaces by themselves, move two and battle with an attached leader).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rafael saiz perez
Spain
cordoba
cordoba
flag msg tools
If it is as you say then I don´t understand why the card differentiates Light, Grenadier and Guard from the rest. It refers first to those units and after that comes "...and infantry units with an attached Leader...".

I think it is a case of bad phrasing. It should have been simpler to say that all Infantry units can hold, move 1 hex and battle or move 2 hexes and not battle. Only Infantry units with an attached Leader can move 2 hexes and still battle. This way there is no need to refer to the type of unit (Light, Grenadier, etc.) because in the end all are involved, at least in the base game (no Austrians).

I hope this is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Brennan
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope so, too! It sure seems right to me, but I'm not any kind of expert. Let's see if anyone else weighs in on the subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phill Webb
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rspsen wrote:
If it is as you say then I don´t understand why the card differentiates Light, Grenadier and Guard from the rest.

Because it allows those infantry types to move 2 and battle when they normally wouldn't be able to.

Units with a leader can also move 2 and battle when they normally wouldn't be able to.

All others are allowed to move 2 but do not gain the ability to battle.

Phill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rafael saiz perez
Spain
cordoba
cordoba
flag msg tools
Then, which units are considered Light, Grenadier and Guard? There are different types of them and the description here is rather generic so I would like to know to which of them it applies.

This brings me back to my prior understanding: those units can move 2 hexes and still battle without the need of an attached leader. The rest of the units (those non considered Light, Grenadier and Guard) can also move 2 hexes but in order to battle they need a leader attached to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rspsen wrote:
I have the 1st edition of the game so no symbols on the units.

Anyway, checking the 2nd edition rulebook and from what you say:

- Light Infantry, Rifle Light Infantry, Grenadier Infantry, Old Guard Infantry, Guard Grenadier Infantry and Young Guard Infantry without an attached leader can move up to 2 hexes and battle .

- Line Infantry with an attached leader can move up to 2 hexes and battle.

- Line Infantry and Militia without an attached leader can hold, move 1 hex and battle or move 2 hexes and not battle.

Is this correct?

And why the Militia is excluded from the benefit of an attached leader? I don´t know if this was a later clarification.

A big part is correct BUT: the Militia can battle after they moved 2 hexes if they have a Leader (like the Line)!

I agree with you that the card is not explaining the simplest way! I would have give the general rule THEN the exceptions like:

"All the infantry units of the section can advance 2 and battle except for the Line and the Militians who can't battle if they move 2 unless they have an attached leader!" ... !

... But who knows: Maybe I missed myself something witch is ... Not impossible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Brennan
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rspsen wrote:
Then, which units are considered Light, Grenadier and Guard? There are different types of them and the description here is rather generic so I would like to know to which of them it applies.

This brings me back to my prior understanding: those units can move 2 hexes and still battle without the need of an attached leader. The rest of the units (those non considered Light, Grenadier and Guard) can also move 2 hexes but in order to battle they need a leader attached to them.

Normally, Light Infantry, Grenzer Light Infantry, and Rifle Light Infantry can move two hexes only if they do not battle. To battle they can only move 1 hex. On my set (2nd edition), these units all have the word "Light" or the abbreviation "Lt" on the block labels.

The Grenadier units all have the word "Grenadier" on the label. Guard units the word "Guard" or the abbreviation "Gd."

Hope this helps. I think the card wording is making this harder to understand than it really is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rafael saiz perez
Spain
cordoba
cordoba
flag msg tools
If this applies to all the units denominated as Light, Grenadier or Guard then I agree that it is rather simple as Guillaume said. All units can move 2 hexes and still battle (no need of Leaders here) except for Line and Militia which need a Leader to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.