Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played the first case and being thrilled with the game, we were excited to try the second, The Tin Soldier. We thought we had figured out that Sennett was the murderer or was at least in on it -- how else would the murderer have gotten out of the study and garden with the door locked from the inside? Surely he would have run into Sennett...which meant Sennett aided him, or Sennett WAS him.

Come to find out, we were supposed to infer that the murderer was a master of illusion solely based on the possibility of someone scaling the garden's 8-foot wall with no other object around to aid him. Then, armed with this "assumption," pick out the French actor from another lead as our master of illusion, and accuse him of the crime. All from a guess that the guy really DIDN'T need the cane he walked in with, and somehow got over an 8-foot wall quicker than Sennett could get out of the kitchen and discover him.

I'd have figured that our scenario would have been the more probable guess. Either way, the only way to solve this case was to go off an assumption, not facts. We love this game, its premise, and are looking forward to the third case. We all just felt that this second case was a letdown after an investment of 3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Steinsland
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also played the two first cases, and our experiences of them where pretty similar. However... me and my friends were able to solve the case in the end, and not just by following an assumption. There were clues in the case that made us able to discover that we should follow up on the actor. I guess the lesson is that one shouldn't get too attached to one's theory in this game, and always try to tie up all the loose ends, because in the end, there's really no motive for Sennett to do it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Hmmm: Sennet had our suspicions, too, at the very beginning ("the butler did it!"), but we quickly dismissed him. Our suspicions rapidly turned to the Arneau family, but we mistakenly ended up concluding that it was the uncle who was the instigator, and not Phillip Arneau. It was the interview with Gervais Arneau at the theatre that made (almost!) all the lights click on for us.

The only other point we really couldn't figure out was the turning around of the Wellington figure. We did deduce that Armstead was trying to signal that his murderer was French...but not Napoleon!

If you found Case Two to be a letdown, Jim, (which, for us, is one of the best ones!), beware of Case Three! A lot of people haven't been too happy about that one (myself included, at least initially).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Masteinsland wrote:
I guess the lesson is that one shouldn't get too attached to one's theory in this game, and always try to tie up all the loose ends, because in the end, there's really no motive for Sennett to do it

Yes: that's precisely why we dismissed Sennett.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
Masteinsland wrote:
I guess the lesson is that one shouldn't get too attached to one's theory in this game, and always try to tie up all the loose ends, because in the end, there's really no motive for Sennett to do it :)

well, not exactly. We thought, since the General had no living heirs we knew of, that Sennett may have done it for money. Of course, THAT is assuming Sennett was written into his will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim K wrote:
amacleod wrote:
Masteinsland wrote:
I guess the lesson is that one shouldn't get too attached to one's theory in this game, and always try to tie up all the loose ends, because in the end, there's really no motive for Sennett to do it

well, not exactly. We thought, since the General had no living heirs we knew of, that Sennett may have done it for money. Of course, THAT is assuming Sennett was written into his will.

That's a pretty hefty assumption! There's no evidence to even indicate Sennett might have been in the will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JLP 303
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly this is the "case" throughout the game... Case 7 we did at the weekend was a little more logical though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as far as Sennett being involved, we weren't just assuming. We had reason to believe that one couldn't get past the "butler" w/o being seen; therefore, Sennett must be involved or guilty himself.

The same assumption was made to get to the case's solution: with the information given on the wall surrounding the garden, one would have to ASSUME it could be scaled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim K wrote:
Well, as far as Sennett being involved, we weren't just assuming. We had reason to believe that one couldn't get past the "butler" w/o being seen; therefore, Sennett must be involved or guilty himself.

Or the killer got in by some other means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
Jim K wrote:

Yes, which is my point: This case was simply a battle of which assumption was the correct one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim K wrote:
amacleod wrote:
Jim K wrote:

Yes, which is my point: This case was simply a battle of which assumption was the correct one.

I s'pose; but the Sennet Hypothesis has as its only strength the presence of the butler at the time of the murder, and a high garden wall; nothing more. Everything else in the investigation was indicating a French connection, and a motive. When we did the case, we never found any competing motives in the casebook. So, we were, of necessity, compelled to look across the Channel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Alban
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoyed this case (and actually beat Sherlock at it - probably the only time that will happen).

One of our team immediately suspected Sennett, so we were on the lookout for incriminating clues from the get-go, but never really found anything pointing to him beyond the initial set-up, and we found much pointing away from him.

The only real problem was having to rely on Sennett's honesty (without being able to verify it) for many of the key clues about how the murder took place.

Had it truly been a "locked room" scenario with 20+ foot walls or somesuch, we would have considered Sennett much more seriously. But an 8-foot wall is hardly insurmountable - someone who is 6' tall could reach the top of it and probably pull themselves up (if strong enough) and most able people could at least jump to grab the top of it. Someone athletic would likely not find it too difficult to scramble over in a hurry, particularly with a short running start & the aid of adrenaline.

The chair pulled up under the hanging swords, however, seemed to only make sense if there was a duel. It wasn't clear why Sennett would want to duel with the General nor why he would have given the General time to retrieve a sword from the wall if he was merely trying to off him to collect on a will or somesuch.

The turned Napoleon figure also didn't seem to be a good way for the General to signal that his killer was Sennett, and pointed more toward a French influence...

Also, although I don't remember the specifics, I think there are a few clues describing the visitor that indicate he may have been in a costume/disguise. Something about a hunched figure in a loose-fitting cloak, maybe?

Even if not, if Sennett is telling the truth, than the visitor was not who he appeared to be (and must have used a sword cane for swordfighting given that the second sword remained on the wall) so it makes sense to look for someone who might be good at both disguise and swordplay - which also prompted us to look to the theater...particularly when there's a French play in town about Napoleon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you follow certain leads, you will arrive the the murder weapon and motive dropped in your lap. Trying to best Holmes may require massive leaps but the answer to three out of four main questions is spelled out for you without any ambiguity if you track it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bowen
msg tools
For me, the turned around soldier was a bit of a stretch. I thought it was turned around to face the Tontine Ticket, it would have made far more sense for Armstead to be clutching a figurine of Napoleon or something. I also agree that the mention of going backstage something that only Sherlock is privy to is a little unfair. The Jewel case distraction is a little too close to the victim also, there's a good amount of motive associated with the victim in that thread. PLUS the point of the letters being addressed to Carson AND Armstead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.