Smash Up: The Obligatory Cthulhu Set» Forums » Variants

Subject: Potential Changes to "The Locals" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Vandenberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Now I know it's too late to make any official changes, but I was debating making a house rule change to "The Locals" cards to make them enjoyable to play. I personally can't stand constantly flipping through my deck and I don't find it to be especially useful for gameplay purposes. If I were to change up the card, here's how I would do it.

New ability:

Ongoing: For each additional "The Locals" card played on a base, gain an additional effect.

2 Locals: Talent: Reveal the top three cards of your deck. Place any of The Locals revealed into your hand and the rest of the cards on the bottom of your deck.
3 Locals: Talent: Play an extra The Locals on this base.
4 Locals: Ongoing: The Locals played on this base cannot be destroyed.
5 Locals: Ongoing: +1 power to each The Locals on this base.

I'm aware that every one of these effects is covered by an Innsmouth action card. However, I find it way too frustrating trying to use more than one action card per turn with Innsmouth. I don't enjoy being forced to use the current The Locals ability but I wouldn't mind the option of using it in certain circumstances. I feel like this new ability is fairly balanced since it takes longer to actually kick in and takes a decent commitment to get the really great effects. It also prevents the insane swarming of Homeworld which was all they were really known for. It's also perhaps more thematic, with The Locals growing in number and becoming more frightening.

Another change I wouldn't mind making to the deck would be to change any instance of "Minions of 2 power or less" to "Minions with a printed power of 2". This way the effects benefit 2 power minions even if they have boosts but don't make Robots an extremely overpowered partner faction since Microbots wouldn't receive these bonuses.

Let me know what you think about these changes. I probably won't actually institute this house rule but it would be a fun thing to think about. If you have any better ability substitutions that you think could work too, let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzanna
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would absolutely play it that way and see how it went. I'm intrigued by the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The set of new abilities looks complicated to implement. But the suggestion of changing "2 or less" to "printed power of 2" sound interesting. Let us know how it goes!

When I first read through the Cthulhu deck, my first reaction to the Locals was to wish it ended with "Put the rest of the cards on the top and/or bottom of your deck in any order."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.