Crokinole» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shooting when no opposing disc is on the board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike hunt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you please tell me, given that no opposing disc is on the board in each case:

* shooting disc - ends wholly in 10 circle, but hits a friendly disc that was previously wholly in the 10 circle onto the 10/15 border line. Do you remove any of the discs? Or is this legal?

* shooting disc - hits two friendly discs that were already in the 10 circle, none of the three discs involved end up on/over the 10/15 border line. Do you remove all of the discs? Or only the shooting disc?

* shooting disc - comes to rest touching a disc that was already on the 10/15 border line. The existing disc remains on the 10/15 border line, but the disc that struck it is fully within the 10 zone. Do you remove either/both discs? Or is this legal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Farrington
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play:

1. All remain (legal)
2. All removed (not legal)
3. All remain (legal)

Have fun!
A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm aware different people play with different rules, but I always thought that as long as no opposing discs are in play, your own discs can never be removed (provided they remain fully on the board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hunt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it makes sense to remove your own discs (although we don't currently play that way), just because it's a game-balancing mechanism, which is generally a good thing.

I guess you could stay something like this

'If no opposing discs are on the board, then if at least one of the discs impacted during the shot is on/over the 15 line after the shot has been taken, then the move is legal. Otherwise the move is illegal, and all discs impacted during the shot are removed from the board.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Grapentine
United States
Utica
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
user276 wrote:
I play:

1. All remain (legal)
2. All removed (not legal)
3. All remain (legal)

Have fun!
A.

There are definitely rules variations, but as far as a lot of Canadian Crokinole leagues are concerned and as well as the World Crokinole Championships, this response is absolutely correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
I'm aware different people play with different rules, but I always thought that as long as no opposing discs are in play, your own discs can never be removed (provided they remain fully on the board).

I used to think the "must be in the 15 ring" was a stupid rule. Then I played two player against someone who hid his discs behind the pegs, making them nearly unclear able. I thought it was cheap BS. In a four player game, I still think it is pretty superfluous, but with 2, I'm okay with it now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. I was completely unaware of this rule, and must've been playing a very simplified version of the ruleset.

Granted, when I play with friends, we have never gotten into a situation with someone "hiding" discs, so it probably has had zero impact on how we actually play, but good to know. I also usually introduce Crokinole to people who are playing it for the first time, so explaining this extra condition probably isn't worth the hassle (unless someone takes advantage of the hiding tactic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Slater
msg tools
Hello,

The answer to these questions are based on rules for competitive crokinole adopted by the National Crokinole Association. (Canada)

Item 1 Both discs remain. This qualifies as a valid shot.

Item 2: The shooter and all discs touched are removed from play and may not score.

Item 3: Provided the discs are touching or touched during the shot both discs remain. This is a valid shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Demian Johnston

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmb
fslater wrote:
Hello,

The answer to these questions are based on rules for competitive crokinole adopted by the National Crokinole Association. (Canada)

Item 1 Both discs remain. This qualifies as a valid shot.

Item 2: The shooter and all discs touched are removed from play and may not score.

Item 3: Provided the discs are touching or touched during the shot both discs remain. This is a valid shot.

Up voting this response. Fred literally wrote the rules for the the Canadian National Crokinole Association. He and I discussed this very rule while playing at last year's World Crokinole Championships in Tavistock, ON.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you explain the precise rule behind item 3? Not sure I understand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heroic Monkey
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This exact rule (found here http://www.nationalcrokinoleassociation.com) is this: "If there are no opposing discs in play, then the shooting disc or at least one disc struck during the shot must end up touching or within the 15 line."

I'm kinda surprised to hear this because I've never heard of this rule before - I thought only the disc being shot on that turn had to end up on or within the 15 line. Interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Demian Johnston

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmb
Game Guardian wrote:
This exact rule (found here http://www.nationalcrokinoleassociation.com) is this: "If there are no opposing discs in play, then the shooting disc or at least one disc struck during the shot must end up touching or within the 15 line."

I'm kinda surprised to hear this because I've never heard of this rule before - I thought only the disc being shot on that turn had to end up on or within the 15 line. Interesting.

This is a common misunderstanding of the rule. In fact, i was involved in engaging a judge to clarify it at last year's WCC.

The point isn't about the shooting disc, but how the shooter leaves the board. Requiring the shooting disc to be in or touching the 15 could require 2 discs in the center. Allowing the flexibility of a combo still allows for some strategic play while preventing unopposed "hiding"

The point comes down to the balance of maintaining the element of strategy within the game while minimizing the potential advantage of leaving a disc behind a peg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Guardian wrote:
Your understanding is the same as what is posted at Stan Hilinski's site and is how I was taught many years ago. I prefer the tournament rule though, so now I just have to retrain myself to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.