Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trarmstrong wrote:
First time ever playing a Catan game, could I start with Cities and Knights given that its considered a better two player game?

Thanks.
1) All of the Catan games in the "main series" do 3p to 4p. 5p to 6p with their respective "player extensions/expansions"

There are some variants here where you can play with 2p. Only one off the top of my head is each player controls 2 colors and you need to get to about twice as many points, but that's for Settlers, NOT C&K. May want to check the variants forum here. Otherwise, if you had 30 red roads, 10 settlements, etc., then you'd use that instead of 2 different colors.

Also, no trading with some of these variants, but frankly, one reason I stopped playing Catan was b/c of the trading.

2) the usual suggestion of playing Settlers first and working your way up to this. However, if you can handle it, there's nothing wrong with that and going back "down" to Settlers later on if need be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not aware that Cities & Knights was considered to be a two player game, better or otherwise.

If you only have two players pull something else off the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronja Lien
msg tools
At home, we have played Cities&Knight together with the Fishermen extension (T&B includes 2p and fishermen). You play with only one colour and there are two neutral 'players' who you can use to block and annoy your opponent, but he can do the same to you, ofcourse.

We really enjoy playing with two, but ofcourse it's different then 'real' Catan, if only for the social experience. It is a fairly balanced game, because the player with least points gets advantages that are quite nice (paying less fish for certain actions). Playing with two is more fun with Fishermen then with no extention and only the official 2p rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.