Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering buying Android again now that I read a drafting system is in place. I know I probably need at least one base set (for tokens and such) but could I build the rest of our card pool for us simply by buying draft packs? Would this be ridiculously more expensive than buying the equivalent base/expansion sets?

Playing the "original" way and pre-building decks won't interest my friends but I do think that I could interest them in a 20 minute draft though. The problem is I don't fully understand the whole draft system so I am kind of confused which route to go (using the draft packs or building my own draft sets). What I like about the draft sets is that it appears to be faction-less and possibly simpler to build decks and that appeals to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really advisable. The core set does come with bad, pre-made decks, but you are getting a lot of cards with the core set. Some are auto-includes in most decks (Sure Gamble/Hedge Fund), but some of the strongest cards in the game are still from the core set.

Not sure why you would try to build a card pool by ignoring the core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
I am considering buying Android again now that I read a drafting system is in place. I know I probably need at least one base set (for tokens and such) but could I build the rest of our card pool for us simply by buying draft packs? Would this be ridiculously more expensive than buying the equivalent base/expansion sets?

Playing the "original" way and pre-building decks won't interest my friends but I do think that I could interest them in a 20 minute draft though. The problem is I don't fully understand the whole draft system so I am kind of confused which route to go (using the draft packs or building my own draft sets). What I like about the draft sets is that it appears to be faction-less and possibly simpler to build decks and that appeals to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you have your own counters for credits/tags/etc, then you theoretically don't need the core set at all if all you want to do is draft. You can download the rules of the game from the 'geek. The draft packs are self-contained - they have all the cards you'll need for the draft. If you are not interested in being a completionist and only interested in drafting, then I can see how this route might be appealing. But it certainly isn't the most efficient way of getting new cards and if you ever want to make standard decks to play against other people, you'll need non-draft identities only available in the core set and data packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
The core set does come with bad, pre-made decks, but you are getting a lot of cards with the core set.

They're bad against constructed decks. They're good against each other. You can't go into a tournament with core decks, but that's not what they're for, anyway.

Quote:
Not sure why you would try to build a card pool by ignoring the core set.

I'm just blinking and shaking my head over somebody trying to play an LCG like a CCG! Some people are just going to prefer randomized packs, I guess...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently put up a review of the official Draft Packs that contains a pretty detailed list of the items you need and how things work. Check it out here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if that isn't clear but I know I will need at least one core set . What I am not sure on is whether it would be viable to then buy draft packs instead of expansion sets.

Also keep in mind I don't care about maximizing decks or anything like that. Our decks would only be played casually between friends so as long as all the decks are weak, it all balances out in the end. In fact I'd rather player with sub-optimal decks to be honest as it forces you to figure out how to best use weaker cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An important consideration: the Cyber War draft set only has 169 different cards in it, so you're going to see a relatively limited subset of the total A:NR card pool that currently exists. And if you ever want to grow beyond drafting, when you buy data packs you're going to have piles of cards that you'll be buying even more worthless extras of due to the LCG model that nearly eliminates the secondary market.

Buying the existing releases and using them to build some sort of draft pool is what I'm planning to do if I can ever get enough friends interested. But, there's something to be said for the convenience of buying a pack and being ready to draft...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:

Our decks would only be played casually between friends so as long as all the decks are weak, it all balances out in the end. In fact I'd rather player with sub-optimal decks to be honest as it forces you to figure out how to best use weaker cards.

Actually, if you use the Draft Pack identities, but freely build decks instead of drafting them with the cards from the draft packs, you'll potentially end up with super-powerful possibly broken decks. So you'll want to make sure that you're always drafting the decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pirate_chef wrote:

I'm just blinking and shaking my head over somebody trying to play an LCG like a CCG! Some people are just going to prefer randomized packs, I guess...

Not sure if that is directed to me or not. I definitely don't want randomized packs though, what I want is the ability to build decks in about 20 minutes and I don't see how that is viable without a draft (or a ton of experience with this game which we don't have). I just know that my friends will balk at the idea of pre-building their decks before a game so if I want us to play Netrunner I need a way to build decks fast and on the spot. Thus a draft is my best option I think.

What I'd truly love would be a pod system like in Star Wars the LCG though. I can make a deck fast in that game and no drafting is required. Best of both worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may or may not matter to you, but Cyber War is also printed using FFG's print on demand system which results in a slightly different print quality that, while reasonably good, is not an exact match for the normal cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
what I want is the ability to build decks in about 20 minutes and I don't see how that is viable without a draft (or a ton of experience with this game which we don't have.

It takes time to make a constructed quality deck, but most of that time is in thinking about which cards to use and pondering how they fit together.

You don't seem to want that, and you are ok with ending up with draft quality decks. So why would it take long to make decks like that? You are removing all the time consuming parts after all! It should be easy to make a deck fast just by following a rough template and picking X Ice, one breaker of each type, etc... You can still use draft id's if you don't want to mess with influence limits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, looks like I am better off buying this the traditional way if I decide to buy back in to it but truth be told, I may just avoid it. I am quite happy playing Star Wars the LCG but this draft pack concept sounded cool so I thought maybe it would be a fun (and easy) way for my group to play another LCG. It doesn't sound like the draft packs are quite what I expected though (none of us have played a CCG before and we are probably better suited to the "deck building" style that occurs in-game, as in Legendary or Dominion).

I traded Netrunner in the first place because I knew my group would never build their own decks and I should probably stick with my gut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Core set comes with preconstructed decks (4 corp and 3 runner) which are great for the kind of "pick up and play" casual approach you seem to be looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
There's nothing wrong with just buying the draft packs if you are looking for a self-contained experience. Just play the draft, shuffle up the cards, then draft again next time. I don't recommend trying to get to constructed by buying draft packs, but you could reasonably have a great number of fun games by buying one set of draft packs for each player and then mixing them up as a pool. If it seems like everything is getting stale, grab another draft pack, pull out 40 cards from the original draft packs you bought, and draft again.

Personally, I love the full constructed format, and would recommend buying cards the traditional way in order to build 7 balanced decks (one for each faction) and then just randomly assigning decks to players each night. That said, I will most likely buy a set of draft packs for my group and play recycled drafts as a good way to mix it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in reusing draft cards, I'd suggest the following instead.

Buy a number of Draft starters equal to the expected number of players. Then buy data packs that look interesting to you and then construct your own cube draft. You get a range of quality cards. You don't get needless duplication. Your purchase retains more value as it will be more likely something folks want. For an lcg, a random selection of draft cards won't have much value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
I am considering buying Android again now that I read a drafting system is in place. I know I probably need at least one base set (for tokens and such) but could I build the rest of our card pool for us simply by buying draft packs?

No. Not all cards are in the draft packs. Most notably, the best Console isn't.

Quote:
Would this be ridiculously more expensive than buying the equivalent base/expansion sets?

Yes, especially as the Core set gets you not just the most pieces of Netrunner cardboard for your gaming dollar, but many of the key cards that make up good decks.

Quote:

I question how much gaming value someone who's never played Netrunner at all would get out of drafting. They're likely to completely miss how many of the best cards in the game work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.