Suburbia» Forums » Variants

Subject: Playing without investment tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed in our first game, neither of us used any investment tiles. I think the game may be fine and play "more pure" without them, so any who are interested can try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
quinnox wrote:
I noticed in our first game, neither of us used any investment tiles. I think the game may be fine and play "more pure" without them, so any who are interested can try it.

Investment is a huge part of the game. It might be a bit complex to explain, but once you get it, you get it.

Just because you haven't have a pizza in your life and feel just fine, doesn't mean your life won't get better once you've try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Investment tiles can be extremely powerful, for example on famous Waterfront Realty. We also didn't use any in our first game, but since the second game they are used often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
The first few games noone played investment mini-hexes as it was one more thing to worry with. Looking at the board, I saw a mint up on the high end. I dropped a waterfront on turn one, as those about eyed my board position. Then on turn two, that high priced Mint was all mine. Then it was a matter of time till I doubled down--and fired the first salvo of playing investment. My income was set early, and I used it to push ahead and eventually won the game by about 25 points over the next player. After that, dropping investment mini-hexes is a common strategy device.

If I were teaching someone the game, it's worth considering leaving them out. Or using it as a handicap, by only allowing the newbies to play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that investing in my initial Community Park is essential. I usually try to do it around the middle of stack B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
I find that investing in my initial Community Park is essential. I usually try to do it around the middle of stack B.

Yeah, the most basic strategy is to surround your initial Park with 6 tiles, and invest in it when you have a good income during the mid game. Instance boost of 6 reputation is no joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is kind of funny, tonight we played again, and one of the goals came out we hadn't seen yet, that essentially said "fewest investment markers used" which wins the goal. So, again in that game, neither player used any of the investment markers, to keep the other at bay. It made me think maybe the designer might have already had this in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eunoia wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:

Yeah, the most basic strategy is to surround your initial Park with 6 tiles, and invest in it when you have a good income during the mid game. Instance boost of 6 reputation is no joke.

I'll note this happens less often when playing with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bobcatpoet wrote:
eunoia wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:

I'll note this happens less often when playing with the expansion.

You're right. The border tile and the challenge/bonus gave the game a nice boost, and there's better tiles or border to invest in rather than the Park.

With border, you don't usually surround your initial Park that much as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.