Hide
14 Posts

High Frontier» Forums » General

Subject: Corrections on base map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vladislav Smihula
Slovakia
Bratislava (Pressburg, Pozsony, Posonium, Presporok, Wilsonstadt, Bressalauspurch, Preslava, Istropolis)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I get the (mounted) map with last corrections? Only way is poster from zazzle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently, although the next edition of High Frontier will presumably have these updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladislav Smihula
Slovakia
Bratislava (Pressburg, Pozsony, Posonium, Presporok, Wilsonstadt, Bressalauspurch, Preslava, Istropolis)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
but...I'll have to wait a several years for 3rd edition. Does anybody some picture with corrected area (around Earth)? I print it and laid on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gaspar wrote:
but...I'll have to wait a several years for 3rd edition. Does anybody some picture with corrected area (around Earth)? I print it and laid on the board.

You can join the High Frontier Yahoo group and download a recent, hi rez jpeg of the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
gaspar wrote:

You can join the High Frontier Yahoo group and download a recent, hi rez jpeg of the map.

Though keep in mind that the updated map being fleshed out there is still in a state of flux.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh oh...

New Scientist: "Our solar system just got more crowded: Gaggle of new dwarf planets found near Pluto"

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25351-gaggle-of-dwarf-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
out to lunch wrote:
Are the corrections important to game play? As a new player, does it make sense to buy the zazzle map right from the start?

No. The corrections are mostly aimed at refining the accuracy of the map in accordance with our existing knowledge of the solar system as opposed to game balancing corrections. The only major balance issue not printed on the map that I can think of is that Eureka only has a 50/50 chance of being a science site. But it's not really necessary to have that as a printed reminder on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
out to lunch wrote:
Are the corrections important to game play? As a new player, does it make sense to buy the zazzle map right from the start?

the changes to Callisto, Ganymede, and Europa have a significant impact on Colonization with bernals in play because with these changes, it is no longer possible to setup a bernal with more than 4 hydration at the Jupiter moons.

the rest of the changes are so far relatively minor, but that particular change is pretty significant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah...almost forgot. there is one other significant change. there is no longer a route to reach the Mars flyby from your bernal in 0 burns. That also has a signifanct impact. it basically increases the number of burns required to get anywhere further away than Mars with your bernal by 1 unless you spend multiple turns setting up for a earth flyby to get out of the inner solar system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
out to lunch wrote:
I don't know the rules so I don't know how important the changes are.

The game is still playable with the base game map right? I mean do you really need to make corrections on the map or can you just make a mental note of the changes and play without making too many mistakes?

Totally playable. The exceptions Jeff is talking about above only apply when you are playing with the Colonization modules. If you follow the normal trajectory of learning the games, you'll have tons of play time out of playing the Basic and Legacy game before you ever get around to adding the Colonization modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
out to lunch wrote:
I don't know the rules so I don't know how important the changes are.

The game is still playable with the base game map right? I mean do you really need to make corrections on the map or can you just make a mental note of the changes and play without making too many mistakes?

I'm about to buy the contents of the base game (minus the rocket diagrams, don't know how important those are) plus the colonization expansion in case I end up really liking the game and it runs out of print too, I'm just trying to figure out just exactly what I need to play the base game in good conditions.

Yes the game is definitely playable. Without the changes I listed, colonization games tend to revolve around the Jupiter moons fairly often. With the changes, the Jupiter moon based strategies are no longer as powerful as they used to be in colonization games. Still playable either way, even with colonization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.