Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: writing - when do you cancel devotion to the arts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
enter name
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools

i have yet another question concerning writing. when or how long are you allowed to cancel the city action devoting to the arts?
i couldn't really find an answer on this case in the forum.

when we played a three people game last sunday, following situation occurred in the first half hour of the game:
in my city management phase i devoted my capital to the arts and therefore got 6 culture tokens. then i spent them and moved up two tiles on the culture track. therefore i got one culture card and one great person which happened to be a general.
but then another player used the writing resource ability and said he is cancelling my devotion to the arts in my capital. off course he only used it because he saw that i had gotten a great general.

we argued for a while, as we both can be stubborn, and didn't come to an agreement. in the end we rolled dice about who is right. i lost and had to move back on the culture track, give back the culture card and the general.(no way of getting 6 culture tokens with the other cities)

in my opinion he is not allowed to do that, because writing only cancels city actions and spending culture is not a city action. he used the writing ability too late. of course he could have cancelled my devotion to the arts before i spent the culture tokens. but he didn't want to "waste" a spy if i would have drawn a "not so good" great person. i think it's not fair to wait and see what the other person draws and if it's good you cancel it and if it's not you don't and keep your spy and wait for the next time someone draws something good when spending culture.

what do you think on this? i would very much appreciate your opinions. thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite clear that you are right. As you say writing cancels a city action and cannot be used once the game has moved on. Where would it stop? You build an army and in movement you take a village that turns out to be a GP, Orville Wright, so he cancels the city action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ca$h
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What CJWF says.
He can cancel before you see your cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Like the others said, you must react right away with abilities or culture cards like this.

However if you rush to use the culture and draw cards/great person, so an opponent doesn't have time to use an ability, then I would allow it to be used a little "too late".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Larsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
haha your friend is a tool I think this question is quite obvious tbh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To give yet another vote for you:
He obviously cannot wait till you spend the stuff you gain from your city action. Usually: You say that you want to devote your city to the arts. Thenhe can intervene by using the writing ability.
If he does not cancel your city action, you gain culture tokens. Then you spend them for steps on the track and gain the benefits. The window for stopping you has passed there long ago.
You should just not rush through the steps in order to make the window too small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P S
India
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another situation.
Say you build an army with city 1, then make a building with city 2.
After City 2 action, writing cannot go back and cancel City 1 action since its already over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gediminas Gaidelis
Lithuania
flag msg tools
Hello all Civ enthusiasts. I bought this game and read as many rools clarifications as i could found but there is still few questions left. When I have two or more cities, and devoting to the arts, can I just calculate all culture symbols with all cities at once and take tokens or done this with each of one city? It is the same for me since if I choose one city devote to the arts I cant choose other to do diferent action like build a unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
AudioSolutions wrote:
Hello all Civ enthusiasts. I bought this game and read as many rools clarifications as i could found but there is still few questions left. When I have two or more cities, and devoting to the arts, can I just calculate all culture symbols with all cities at once and take tokens or done this with each of one city? It is the same for me since if I choose one city devote to the arts I cant choose other to do diferent action like build a unit.

But you can do something else with you different cities . You choose what each city do seperately. So one could devote to culture and another could build a unit or building for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gediminas Gaidelis
Lithuania
flag msg tools
are You sure? In core rules it is said :

During the City Management Phase, each player takes one action
with each of their cities. This action can be used for one and
only one
of the following three purposes each turn:
A. Produce a Figure, Unit, Building, or Wonder
B. Devote to the Arts
C. Harvest a Resource

we always payed like if You choose build, you can only build with three cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
AudioSolutions wrote:
are You sure? In core rules it is said :

During the City Management Phase, each player takes one action
with each of their cities. This action can be used for one and
only one
of the following three purposes each turn:
A. Produce a Figure, Unit, Building, or Wonder
B. Devote to the Arts
C. Harvest a Resource

we always payed like if You choose build, you can only build with three cities.

100 % sure. "each player takes one action with each of their cities" (my italic)

You can use the action each city gets for only one of A, B and C, but you get one action for eah city.

A lot of the threads in here would make no sence, if it was onle one combined action. And many of the culture cards would become very powerfull.

Also read further in that section. Then it mentions "..., so it may use its action to produce one item..." - it is the city's own action and not one general action for all of your cities. (my bold)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gediminas Gaidelis
Lithuania
flag msg tools
thank You, this makes much more sence now its sometimes hard to understand some parts of rules when your native language isnt english

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Bugeanu
Romania
flag msg tools
Hello,

Don't want to start another topic for this subject. So we are discussing about Writing Tech Card, so I would like to ask you something guys:

We have a scenario with 4 players. We are in City Management phase which is played in TURN ORDER

P1 has Writing tech card and he is doing some actions with his cities.

P2 is doing something with his cities (devote to arts and build something)

P3 is doing something (is not important)

P4 same

Now my questions is, can P1 which it was 1st in Turn Order to use a SPY and activate the comments on Writing tech card, for example to cancel what P2 or P3 did on their turn ???

Or P1 should say that is using Writing card resource ability on his turn? But this is weird, since he is P1 (first in play) it doesn't know what other players will do.

Thanks!
BR,
BlackS0ull

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, as we already stated in this thread, the writing ability is meant as a REACTION to a city action. It's like a Counterspell in Magic. Someone anounces to do something and you stop him from doing that.
In your example:
P2 says "I devote my 2nd city to the Arts"
P1 says "I use my writing to cancel this action"
P2 may not take the culture tokens and continues by saying that he wants to build something with his 3rd city...

Turn order has no meaning in this. Also, there is no reference that resource abilities can only be activated during their owners turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Bugeanu
Romania
flag msg tools
Anduin wrote:
I think, as we already stated in this thread, the writing ability is meant as a REACTION to a city action. It's like a Counterspell in Magic. Someone anounces to do something and you stop him from doing that.
In your example:
P2 may not take the culture tokens and continues by saying that he wants to build something with his 3rd city...

Turn order has no meaning in this. Also, there is no reference that resource abilities can only be activated during their owners turn.

Many thanks mate for your quick answer over this.

Have a great day.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
BlackS0ull wrote:
Anduin wrote:
In your example:

Many thanks mate for your quick answer over this.

Have a great day.
Thanks!

Every Spy abilities except Mysticism's one can be used during other player's turn.

-> Writing, Communism, Mass Media can be used during another player's turn.

Writing only during CM.
Communism only during Movement.
Mass Media anytime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.