Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Mackin
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Patiently waiting for the game to turn up in the UK. Three rules questions if I may
1) When the German player places reinforcements/replacements can he only place one block each in Konigsberg, Bucharest and Warsaw ie. if he wanted to place a fourth block it would have to be placed on a western board edge,
2) The rules state that 'For Russian units fortress cities are always in supply' does this mean that if a Russian unit can trace a supply path to a fortress city it is in supply even if the city cannot trace a path back to the eastern board edge or is it just the unit that occupies the fortress city that is in supply.
3) In the supply section of the rules it says Russian controlled cities must be able to trace a continuous chain of controlled cities within 5 hexes of each other to the eastern board edge but in the Designer Notes it says the Russian supply lines can trace to the east or south edge. Which is correct is it east or east/south? Perhaps the game board makes this more obvious?

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grant wylie
United States
va. beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes 1 per city, then west edge.
2. Just the unit in the city.
3. The rules, not the designer notes.

Thanks,
Grant Wylie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mackin
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification Grant, now I just need to wait for the game to make it's way to the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a Russian fortress city is surrounded by enemy units who destroy the Russian unit but do not advance into the fortress, can I build a new Russian unit at strength 1 in the fortress?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
If a Russian fortress city is surrounded by enemy units who destroy the Russian unit but do not advance into the fortress, can I build a new Russian unit at strength 1 in the fortress?

Has this been answered/clarified anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nada

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:

I'm going to chime in on this one with two rule quotes:

'Control changes as players move units through cities the other player controls.'

'Reinforcement and replacement locations must be in supply AND controlled for units to be placed there.'

Since the Germans did not move into the city, it is still controlled by the Russians. However, it is surrounded so the supply chain has been broken and no Russian unit can be placed there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hesitantly suppose your guess is right about the intent.

msgt pepe wrote:
'Reinforcement and replacement locations must be in supply AND controlled for units to be placed there.'

On the other hand, the rules also say "For Russian units, fortress cities are always in supply."

Arguably, that latter quote is perhaps intended to mean "Russian units in fortress cities are always in supply" (i.e. there is perhaps a distinction between a unit being supplied and a location being supplied - that causes endless rule confusion/fun in No Retreat, by the way), but as written, it seems to say that a Russian fortress city (location) itself is always in supply...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly!
There is no supply chain to break if fortresses are always in supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax folks - I'm just trying to answer Steve Duke's earlier question that hasn't yet been clarified. The actual wording on pg 6 is: 'A Russian unit located in a fortress city is always in supply.' That is the only mention of fortress cities regarding supply. So if a Russky MOVES in there, he can never be eliminated due to OOS. But can it be PLACED there? I say no, but ultimately it comes down to personal interpretation due to unclear rules confusion, as Russ says. I own five other Worthington games and there's always a gray area where I have to make my own call, just like this one.

Well Steve, looks like you answered your own questioned when you stated a fortress city is always in supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe i answered my own question, but much like the earlier 'attack rail move' answer, it is not very satisfying.

and i am very relaxed, by the way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger that - I'd be more relaxed if the rules were 100% black and white!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.