Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
eli goldman
Israel
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi,

What is your opinion about laminating card games and the board itself.
The board i am going to publish flip to 4 (48\48 turn into 24\24).

And if to go with laminating it - glossy or matte ?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but I cannot help you on this one. I'm just pushing it, so maybe someone else sees it and shares some insight.

Also: Have you asked in the DIY forum? I'd say, your question would be better over there.

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I prefer matt lamination for most boards, although gloss leaves more depth to colour.

I wouldn't ever suggest laminating cards, gloss makes them too slippy to stack up easily and matt can sometimes make them hard to shuffle, plus it's another thing that might catch at the edges while you're shuffling or handling the cards which might damage them or make some cards distinguishable from others from the back. If you want to protect your cards, spray them with a gloss lacquer instead. (And test on some scrap of the same material first!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of lacquer do you recommend?
How to apply it without having uneven effects or cards sticking to the surface they're on?

I actually do laminate my cards:

- double-sided print on 300g paper
- 100mic lamination sheets
- cutting machine
- edge clipper

They stack & shuffle nicely. The card backs are indistinguishable for my eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:

What kind of lacquer do you recommend?

Personally I use Halfords' own-brand Acrylic Lacquer, which is sold by the car-and-bike-parts-and-accessories shop Halfords in the UK. Most of their stuff is pretty mediocre, but their spray primers and lacquers are excellent. I've heard good things about Krylon, but it's a brand we hardly see in the UK so I've not tried it.

magneheeli wrote:

I actually do laminate my cards:
They stack & shuffle nicely. The card backs are indistinguishable for my eyes.

Well, put it this way: all the glossy laminates I've tried - including self-adhesive and heat-applied - have resulted in cards which start to slide sideways if you put more than five or six of them in a stack.

(The reason I suggested that it may lead to cards which are distinguishable from the back is simply that self-adhesive laminates have a tendency to start to peel along cut lines with handling.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience matches Jake's ... glossy laminated cards are slip-n-slide. Almost impossible to keep a deck upright without sticking them in some kind of box/card holder.

Glossy might also make it harder to see past a glare... usually not a problem for indoors ... but big issue when playing outdoors or in very bright light.

I actually wouldn't even recommend laminating the cards anyway ... seems to me that it would add on a cost to the product ... and there's already a good industry selling sleeves. So why risk making your game more expensive, when the consumers are already likely to absorb that risk for you?

As for the board ... I guess my concerns would be similar: too slippery? too much glare? too big a cost?

Of course, now you've got me thinking: do I have any game boards that I'd like to try using a spray-sealer on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.