Justin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the intro quest over the weekend and I've been reading up on how the campaign mode works.

Each expansion adds more quests. Are the quests in each expansion meant to be self contained or can they be used to build off of the existing quests in the base game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "big box" expansions (right now of which there are two: Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Labyrinth of Ruin and Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Shadow of Nerekhall) have completely new campaigns. The quests between the core set and the expansions do not mix in campaign mode at all. You can of course play "one off" quests. Also, the expansion has new tile pieces and uses them with the base set's tiles, but not with each other (i.e. LoR does not use Nerekhall's tiles and vice versa).

The "small box" expansions (of where there are currently two: Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Lair of the Wyrm and Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – The Trollfens, with one on the way Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Manor of Ravens) has a mini campaign (3 Act I quests and 2 Act II quests, which you only play one of) that you can either play by itself, or you can include them in any campaign by the use of Rumor Cards. So these expansions do mix their quests with the core's campaign, or with either of the "big box" campaigns.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks! now which ones to choose...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious, do the rumor quests mix? I.e. can one play a campaign and have rumors from more than one small box expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vargen666 wrote:
I'm curious, do the rumor quests mix? I.e. can one play a campaign and have rumors from more than one small box expansion?

Yes, you mix all rumor cards.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vargen666 wrote:

Yes, you can.
Each rumor card simply let's the Overlord decide which Quest is played next.
You shuffle the Rumor Cards you have decided to include, and the OL Draw 3 cards to use in the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:

All a quest Rumor card does is make a new quest available as a choice. The OL can choose it to play after winning a quest, of course, but the heroes aren't obligated to choose it themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mott
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Great Dane wrote:

That's not exactly true. While a rumor quest card is in play, it's treated as an available quest during the choose next quest step of the campaign phase. The team which has the privilege of quest selection still gets to pick which quest is played.

EDIT: Arg, Sarcasmorator beat me to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.