Subject: Focused Die rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say an adventure has 4 tasks (the fourth being a monster)...with an ordering arrow.

On rolls one and two tasks 1 and 2 are completed. On roll 3, I fail..deciding to focus a die which will be good for task 4.

First Is this legal?

Further, I roll at task 3 again and succeed but it empties my dice pool. Thus, I have 3 tasks completed and the fourth task completed if I am allowed to move the focused die...

Am I allowed to use it on task 4 when I don't have dice to roll at the fourth task?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
Say an adventure has 4 tasks (the fourth being a monster)...with an ordering arrow.

On rolls one and two tasks 1 and 2 are completed. On roll 3, I fail..deciding to focus a die which will be good for task 4.

First Is this legal?

Further, I roll at task 3 again and succeed but it empties my dice pool. Thus, I have 3 tasks completed and the fourth task completed if I am allowed to move the focused die...

Am I allowed to use it on task 4 when I don't have dice to roll at the fourth task?

I play that you can, I can not remember anything in the rules that forbid that.
However between first and second reprint the manual has changed and I am not sure there is not something in the newer edition that I may have missed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it's similar to rolling at an ordered task #1, failing, and focusing a die for task #2 which is a single requirement.

Upon roll number 2 you complete task 1...do you immediately complete task number 2 with the focused die...and move on to task number 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revised printing rules pg. 10 wrote:
A focused die is not part of the dice pool, but the player may use its result to satisfy a task requirement on a later roll this turn. To use a focused die to complete a task, he removes it from his investigator marker and assigns it to the task he wishes to satisfy, along with any other rolled dice he must assign to the task in order to complete it.
Doesn't really help, does it?

Personally, given that a Clue allows a complete re-roll if you want it, I'd say that you don't need to roll any dice to be able to use the focussed die. If you last die is a focussed die and it completes a task then you've done a good job of managing your dice pool and deserve to complete the adventure. It's not meant to be a difficult game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:

First Is this legal?

you cant use your focused die, even if you have not dice in a pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Reaser
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of your questions are answered by this statement in the rule book (page ten, bottom right corner): "A focused die is not part of the dice pool, but the player may use its result to satisfy a task requirement on a later roll this turn."

dlikos wrote:

First Is this legal?

Yes, because a focused die can be used on any later roll.

dlikos wrote:

No. If there is no pool, you can't roll, and if you can't roll, you can't use the focused die on the task. You can't even attempt the fourth task because there is no pool to roll. (An exception is Amanda Sharpe, who can fulfill multiple tasks in one roll. With her, you could complete the fourth task using the results from the successful roll that depleted your dice pool.)

That's all a very literalist reading of the rules and kind of pedantic, though. So... I personally think that in your scenario the good planning and luck should pay off and you should be allowed to go ahead and complete the fourth task as you have suggested. There's nothing stopping you from playing that way. It seems more rewarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloodcinder wrote:

dlikos wrote:

No. If there is no pool, you can't roll, and if you can't roll, you can't use the focused die on the task. You can't even attempt the fourth task because there is no pool to roll. (An exception is Amanda Sharpe, who can fulfill multiple tasks in one roll. With her, you could complete the fourth task using the results from the successful roll that depleted your dice pool.)

I agree, but what about my second scenario...

I roll at task 1, and focus a die for task 2. I then pass task 1, and roll at task 2 planning to use my focused die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Reaser
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
I roll at task 1, and focus a die for task 2. I then pass task 1, and roll at task 2 planning to use my focused die?

Yes, absolutely, as long as you actually make a roll at task two (as long as there are dice to roll), you can roll and then use the focused die, even though you focused it on a previous task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If that's the straight up rule, then it sucks. To be realistic, the game should require that the focused die be used only the attempted task and not some 'new task'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ppayes wrote:
If that's the straight up rule, then it sucks. To be realistic, the game should require that the focused die be used only the attempted task and not some 'new task'.

This is why I questioned it...but only for ordered tasks. For non ordered tasks I think it would be fine to focus a die, and upon rerolling realize that I can complete a task that doesn't use the focused die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.