Chris Stegner
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always understood bonus dice to be actual physical dice. Not with bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Ferguson
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
No, you're adding "one die", not "one melee roll". In the example you gave, your roll would be 2D10+3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Diavatis
Greece
Melissia
Attica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder is all about doing EXACTLY what the card/rule says. This overarching rule has saved me and (I can safely say) many other people tens of FAQ searches.

So, now you know the top rule. What do you think you should do with the Blessing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just get to add another die, not the die and the bonus.
Here's what the rulebook wrote:
Blessing: Blessing cards often allow you to add dice to checks attempted by any player, including yourself, at any location. The dice added are normally of the type associated with the skill the character is using for the check; if a card instead specifies the exact dice to roll for the check, the added dice are of the type specified by that card. For example, if Lem is making a Strength check with his Strength of d4+1, Blessing of the Gods adds a d4.
It took a while to find the example, it wasn't actually in the section on making a check. That would be too obvious now, wouldn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this is somewhat confusing. If you were Valeros, for example, and you played a weapon that said to roll your Strength/Melee die you would sort of take that to mean "1d10 +3". And so when you read a blessing you wonder if it means 1d10 or 1d10 +3. But here is how it works:

Attempting a Check
Determine which die you’re using. Valeros plays a weapon that says to roll his Melee die + 1d8. But at this point, all that matters is he's using is his Melee die.
Determine the difficulty. Let's say it is 10.
Play cards and use powers that affect the check (optional). Valeros plays a Blessing of the Gods to add 1 die to his check.
Assemble your dice. Since he's using his Melee skill, Valeros grabs a d10. He also grabs the d8 from playing the weapon. And since the BotG added a die, he grabs a second d10.
Attempt the roll. Valeros rolls all the dice. He gets 9 total from the dice. But this step also tells him to add in any "modifiers" that apply to the check. Since he used his Melee he has a +3 modifier that he adds in now. So the result is 12.
Take damage if you fail a check to defeat a monster. He didn't fail.

So basically your Melee skill consists of a die and a modifier. And any time you use your Melee die, you get to apply the modifier. That subtle distinction in the steps is why it can tell you to roll your Melee die and at the same time tell you that when you add a die, you only get a die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is, if I have a special Valeros die numbered from 4 to 13 I add that die, i.e. roll again and add up? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.