Subject: 30 Minute Playing Time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Stamper
United States
Spencer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I was really excited to try this out. I've only played 3 games. The first game was abandoned after 6 innings and 90 minutes of play. The second game was completed and took about 2 hours. The third game was abandoned after the 4th inning and over an hour of play. Has anyone actually played this game in 30 minutes? That was really the big selling point to me and doesnt seem possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay McSaros

Ohio
msg tools
What are you having difficulty with? I play an average game in 25-35 minutes which seems to be fairly typical. Finding the chart results is fairly straightforward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McGlone
United States
Chillicothe
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Bring Back The Big Red Machine!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is slow when you first start out. As you play more you'll get faster at finding results on the tables. I would think after a lot of plays you'll start memorizing some common results. I've played about 20 games and can finish in about 45 minutes.

One suggestion is to use a Spreadsheet file to "roll" the dice. I use one I made for iWorks for MAC. There was one in the file section on the Replay Baseball page but it appears to be gone now. My Spreadsheet displays "dice" for the Red, White and Blue dice as well as a fielding position die, error dice, etc. That way I only roll once per at bat and it's all lined up and organized just the way I want it without having to arrange the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Stamper
United States
Spencer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not really confused with finding chart results or dice rolls. The games are just taking forever. Both sides batted around in a inning in my last game before I gave up. Maybe it's just bee my luck with the rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Moore
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
Are you playing the Classic version or the Peter Venture version? 1x6 pitchers or 6x6? My playing times (and I am slow) are:

Classic: 25 min
Newest with 1x6 pitchers: 35 min
Newest with 6x6: 45 minutes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Stamper
United States
Spencer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I've been playing wwith 6x6 pitchers and got the playing time down to about an hour which is much more reasonable. One other question, what does the "f" in column 4 b grades for pitchers mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Van Antwerp
msg tools
The "F" means to refer to the fielder's rating for that play (the fielder corresponding to the blue die).

It took me a while at first, but I'm now down to about 10-15 minutes per game, a 3 game series in an hour. The secret for me is using a combination of BallScore to score the game and track stats (no need to write in lineups by hand) and either BallRoller or the FACs to produce the dice results.

Ballscore/Ballstat/Ballroller are available for free at this site:
http://www.ballstat.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Troppens
msg tools
If you stick with it, you'll get your times down fast. You'll start learning automatic results in each of the columns, and you'll have 1-2-3 innings that get done in literally less than a minute.

The newer version is a tad more complex and the game will take a little longer than maybe the initial version initially created in the 1970s, but it shouldn't be more than five more minutes.

If you continued to play the game, I'm sure you figured this out. If you didn't then you just have to get to that point where you start memorizing results. I didn't play the game for at least a year and popped it out again just last week and have been playing different seasons each night this week. I still had all the results memorized and cruised through game. I think one night I played seven games while doing plenty of other things around the house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After about 10 games, I am down to 50 minutes, using iScore to keep stats(of course, entering the teams in iScore takes a buckload of time first )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.