Subject: Improved plastic infantry quality? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I recently picked up the 2007 FFG edition of ToI in a trade (the coffin box). I also picked up a new copy of the Normandy expansion because I'm addicted to buying expansions for games.

I've found the plastic infantry figures in the base game to be quite frustrating to work with. I'd say only about half of the infantry figures in my box actually snap into the bases that were provided and stay seated properly. For the rest I either have to keep twisting them back and forth to get them into the base (bending them in the process), or they just don't stay seated very well and tend to fall over easily. With effort I'm able to get them into the base secure enough to play but it makes the set up portion of the game frustrating and time consuming to the point where I don't think I'll be able to convince my friends to play the game after the first experience.

Out of curiosity, I opened up the Normandy expansion and tried those units. I found that the British infantry "clicked" into the base much easier than anything in the base game and were much easier to work with in general. I'm wondering if the manufacturing process used for subsequent expansion printings were improved and if I can expect newer reprints of the game to be easier to work with?

Can anyone from 1A Games comment on the quality of the infantry in the new 2nd wave core set? Initially, I didn't see any reason to buy the 2nd wave core set since I already have the original, but if the pieces click together more easily it might be worth it for me.

Do any of you ToI vets/collectors have experience with this? Are all the expansions easier to work with than the base game? I'm just wondering if I should consider buying a newer copy of the core set for a better setup experience.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree. Instead of a pin what about a small "+" or a slot. Boy they are not fun to use now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
when FFG reprinted the core set in 2011 those problems where eliminated.
when we print next wave iy will be with the current better plastic.
at some point soonish we hope to have plastic soldiers available for purchase

bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
I play Memor 44,Tide of Iron, and Axis and Allies:1942!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2011 I played TOI for the first time at a convention and the guy had glued washers to the bottoms of the troops, and magnets to the bases:

I am glad to hear that troops will be available and that the sets got better. I got TOI for a valentines day gift and I have the same problems, with some hard to put in, and some falling out. I would think that the washer/magnet solution would be expensive!

"And while the hordes of death are mighty, the battalions of life are mightier still. It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rongammer wrote:

I am glad to hear that troops will be available and that the sets got better. I got TOI for a valentines day gift and I have the same problems, with some hard to put in, and some falling out. I would think that the washer/magnet solution would be expensive!

Actually, the washer/magnet route is not expensive. #6 washers work great and are very cheap. The magnets I bought from litko (I think) and I think it cost me 15-20 dollars to have enough magnets to complete the base set and all FFG expansions. What 'costs' the most is the time it takes to get them all converted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Beck
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I magnetized my entire TOI army as well. I had originally used small washers on the soldiers, but have switched over to 1mm x 3mm rare earth magnets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Kaiser33 wrote:
Yeah, I magnetized my entire TOI army as well. I had originally used small washers on the soldiers, but have switched over to 1mm x 3mm rare earth magnets.

How do you attach them to the infantry models?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
skinsfan wrote:
when FFG reprinted the core set in 2011 those problems where eliminated.
when we print next wave iy will be with the current better plastic.
at some point soonish we hope to have plastic soldiers available for purchase

bill

Thanks, Bill. I think I'm gonna experiment with magnetizing what I already have. But I may end up buying the reprint just for the improved plastic quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Beck
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cut the pegs off and then super glued the magnets where the pegs used to be. Then stuck on magnetic circles from litko. There is a blog post by someone on the web that gave me the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Beck
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I got this at a good discount when it first came out and then read about all the peg hole size issues. I went through and drilled them out which seemed to work, but found a few positions that will blow over from just speaking too loud. I write it off to having replacements needing some leadership and motivation to keep them in position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finhisky
Taiwan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pictures looks awsome.
wanna upgrade my infantry too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.