Subject: "Phaser Fodder" battle event rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John S.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an idea for a themed play event, and am sharing the idea for feedback. Locally, due to the delayed OP kits, some enterprising TOs have hosted tournaments of their own devising. I was watching one of the huge battles of the Dominion War and thought of this theme.

Simple concept behind this- the Trek universe is a dangerous place, and the heroes (and villains) of the shows survive things that routinely do in less fortunate crews and ships. So I present Phaser Fodder; aka Redshirt Rampage! One primary rule: no unique cards. Only generic class ships, captains, personnel, and other upgrades. Now I realize this would create a confusing mess of skill 1 ship captains, so I further propose one secondary rule: Each ship rolls 5 attack dice before initial setup, and score as follows: hit =1, crit hit =2, total score being that captain's initiative number. Just use a scrap of paper over the captain ID token with the correct initiative number on it. If you wanted to get REALLY wacky, you could roll new initiatives at the start of every new turn.

Watch the faceless, generic minions of the galaxy slaughter one another with only the most basic academics of tactics and strategy! It's Phaser Fodder!

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fun idea, but what I really like is the offhand suggestion at the end about variable initiative. I might have to steal that one for other purposes, for example, by having each ship roll dice at the start of the turn equal to its captain skill, and the number of battlestations determines turn order? It should make things interesting to know that one's 9s will only probably shoot first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
It's a fun idea, but what I really like is the offhand suggestion at the end about variable initiative. I might have to steal that one for other purposes, for example, by having each ship roll dice at the start of the turn equal to its captain skill, and the number of battlestations determines turn order? It should make things interesting to know that one's 9s will only probably shoot first.

I've played that way. It is fun. We rolled at the end of Planning after all dials were locked, and used 1d10 + Captain Skill. So Most of the time Picard still moves last and shoots first, but on rare occasions, Captain Jinn-Erick moves last and shoots first.

Be warned, it DOES slow the game down considerably when you have 4 or more captains rolling every turn.

Yay for Chaos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Might also be fun to allow named captains but limit them to a very low skill threshold, like 3 or 4. People would break out more of the "also-rans" that are seldom seen in competitive play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.