Popular Tags: [View All]
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

After having a blast with the starter set, I grabbed ToR and both expansions. My question is, are there rules for playing with all the cards? Do I just mix all the randomizers together and play it like I would normally?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
JohnnyR wrote:
Hey guys,

After having a blast with the starter set, I grabbed ToR and both expansions. My question is, are there rules for playing with all the cards? Do I just mix all the randomizers together and play it like I would normally?

Thank you!

You can mix them all together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also "scenarios" available on the AEG website if you like (I think they are also available in the file section here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erv Walter
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
ervwalter is my new bgg account
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the Epic variant which is described in the Towers of Ruin rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You can mix everything together. Occasionally the true randomness will lead to somewhat unbalanced sets, though. So, I'd suggest either the scenarios, or look into one of the free "intelligent" randomizers such as thunder master (http://www.thundermaster.net) which makes sure that you have good card combinations.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdanish wrote:

You can mix everything together. Occasionally the true randomness will lead to somewhat unbalanced sets, though. So, I'd suggest either the scenarios, or look into one of the free "intelligent" randomizers such as thunder master (http://www.thundermaster.net) which makes sure that you have good card combinations.

Enjoy!

Awesome! Thank you so much!

One last question - The expansions say they have some reprinted cards from ToR and the other expansion - should I leave those cards out? Or also add them in?

I'm also confused about where the "Dungeon Feature" Randomizer cards belong (treasures and summoner are the two I have). I just put them with the monster randomizers, but I'm not sure if this is correct.

carrion wrote:
There are also "scenarios" available on the AEG website if you like (I think they are also available in the file section here)

I only found two on the AEG site, does that sound about right?

Thanks!

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:

carrion wrote:

I only found two on the AEG site, does that sound about right?

Thanks!

John

http://www.alderac.com/thunderstone/category/module/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
One last question - The expansions say they have some reprinted cards from ToR and the other expansion - should I leave those cards out? Or also add them in?

The reprinted cards are the monsters that are "ambushers", which is a keyword that triggers effects on some monster cards. The original placement of the keyword was along the top with other keywords and easily missed. The reprinted cards have the ambusher keyword in a graphic in the middle of the card. So yes, you should add the reprinted cards to your monster sets, and remove the duplicates that they are replacing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
JohnnyR wrote:

The reprinted cards are the monsters that are "ambushers", which is a keyword that triggers effects on some monster cards. The original placement of the keyword was along the top with other keywords and easily missed. The reprinted cards have the ambusher keyword in a graphic in the middle of the card. So yes, you should add the reprinted cards to your monster sets, and remove the duplicates that they are replacing.

Awesome! Makes sense, thank you!

I'm still unsure as to how to use the Treasure and summoner randomizers - The rules don't state how to incorporate them into the usual hero/village/monster randomizer picks.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:
JohnnyR wrote:

I'm still unsure as to how to use the Treasure and summoner randomizers - The rules don't state how to incorporate them into the usual hero/village/monster randomizer picks.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

The rules that the treasures come with should mention how they work. The treasure randomizers get added to the monster randomizers. As you draw for your three monster groups, if you draw a treasure group, then you add the treasures as well. Or you can just decide you want to add treasures to the game.

The summoner is just another monster group. It will have 10 summoner cards that get mixed into the monster deck as normal. It will also have 12 monster cards that are kept separate (shuffled together and placed face down). When a player chooses to fight against the summoner, the top monster of the side monster deck is revealed, and that is who the player must defeat. And as the card says, when defeated, they add both the summoned monster and the summoner itself to their deck, otherwise the summoned monsters go to the bottom of the side deck and the summoner remains in the monster hall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
JohnnyR wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:
JohnnyR wrote:

What am I missing?

Thanks!

The rules that the treasures come with should mention how they work. The treasure randomizers get added to the monster randomizers. As you draw for your three monster groups, if you draw a treasure group, then you add the treasures as well. Or you can just decide you want to add treasures to the game.

The summoner is just another monster group. It will have 10 summoner cards that get mixed into the monster deck as normal. It will also have 12 monster cards that are kept separate (shuffled together and placed face down). When a player chooses to fight against the summoner, the top monster of the side monster deck is revealed, and that is who the player must defeat. And as the card says, when defeated, they add both the summoned monster and the summoner itself to their deck, otherwise the summoned monsters go to the bottom of the side deck and the summoner remains in the monster hall.

Cards with a gold frame are treasures. You
gain these extra rewards for defeating certain
monsters, but you’ll have to work hard for them!
You can choose to include treasures because
the randomizer tells you to, a scenario calls for
them, or just because you just want to. When
you include treasures in a game, shuffle the
treasure cards of the indicated groups into the
dungeon deck. Use only one treasure group in
a game.

That's all it says in the RoC rules. Maybe they tell you in the Caverns of Bane rules?

Either way, you answered it for me! So thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
a game.

That's all it says in the RoC rules. Maybe they tell you in the Caverns of Bane rules?

I think Caverns of Bane does go into more detail since that set came out first, and they were first introduced there.

But so you know, when you draw a treasure from the monster deck, you place it in the hall and then draw again and place a monster with the treasure. The top ability of the treasure gets added to the monster's abilities which makes that monster more difficult. The player that defeats the monster will also add the treasure to their deck, which is usually worth points, and they will get to use the bottom ability of the treasure when it shows up in their hand again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
JohnnyR wrote:
a game.

I think Caverns of Bane does go into more detail since that set came out first, and they were first introduced there.

But so you know, when you draw a treasure from the monster deck, you place it in the hall and then draw again and place a monster with the treasure. The top ability of the treasure gets added to the monster's abilities which makes that monster more difficult. The player that defeats the monster will also add the treasure to their deck, which is usually worth points, and they will get to use the bottom ability of the treasure when it shows up in their hand again.

You are awesome. Thank you!

I spent like 3 hours last night sorting and putting all the cards in their proper places, I didn't get to CoB, so that's probably where the correct treasure rules are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

From CoB, p3 (pardon the OCR'd text):

Quote:
When you reveal a treasure card while refilling the hall, place the treasure card in the open rank farthest from the deckjust like normal, and then reveal another card from the dungeon deck. If it is another treasure, stack it on top ofthe treasure you just put out and reveal another card. Repeat this until you reveal a monster. Once you reveal a monster, put it on top ofthe treasure card(s). The treasure is now part ofthat monster's hoard, and the monster uses it in combat against you!

When fighting that monster in the dungeon, treat trait text, Battle effects, and Aftermath effects above the bold line as though they were printed on the monster card itself. If a monster gets two or more treasure cards, they are all considered part of the monster card.

If you defeat the monster, place it and all of its treasure into your discard pile. You have claimed your prize! When you draw the treasure into your hand, use the text and abilities below the line-the power ofthe treasure is now yours.

If you do not defeat the monster, or if the monster leaves the hall for any other reason, remove the treasure from the game.. It becomes lost to the blac reaches of the dungeon, a mysterious legend told in darkened taverns for years to con
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.