Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's all I've got...Bueller? Anyone???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pitman
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Check in around May/June; there should be buzz by then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian F
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually given up on the series and moved on to other games. Someday it might come out but this is the first time I've checked up on it in 9 months
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard several say they are giving up which is a pity. Question is, why would Academy not continue with this series? It is very popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pitman
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Not sure but the recent posts seem to indicate that their priorities have shifted in this direction; and so likely to see this mid-year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dawntreader wrote:
Not sure but the recent posts seem to indicate that their priorities have shifted in this direction; and so likely to see this mid-year.

Which recent posts? Guadalcanal is not being Kickstarted and is going to print. First men in is going to be Kickstarted soon. Not sure where the solo system is but there are other future plans also in the beginning stages.

With so much success I can't imagine Uwe stopping. They could use a PR guy but I have not seen a priority shift. Just a lot of irons in the fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pitman
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
So, I'm probably misunderstood here and think we're on the same page really. Just from my view, in Feb when we thought initially that Guadalcanal was headed for Kickstarter and then learned it was headed to print; that in my mind was a conscious priority shift (not a negative one; a positive one). So it's all good. That post was in Feb and in the time-warp world of Academy Games we can maybe call that 'recent'. But it's going to be midyear before we get this. I recall printing was like a 3 month thing; then the boat ride over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pitman
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Readers - here's the thread we've been referencing. Feb 13 was the switch from Kickstarter to print. http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1111975/guadalcanal-ks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really like to believe that we will see Guadalcanal by mid year, but I have lost some confidence. I am still waiting for the solo expansion I paid for. I also preordered Guadalcanal in Feb 2013.

I have been getting plenty of updates on Fief with pictures of beautiful little castles. Nothing on C of H.

Would love to be surprised. Absolutely no hate here, just really disappointed and my patience is wearing thin. Remember, the last new item for this series was Price of Honour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
I have heard several say they are giving up which is a pity. Question is, why would Academy not continue with this series? It is very popular.

Here is my speculation.

It is very popular, but the customer base, like for most war games is small. Compared with many other wargames the production cost is high because of the higher quality components.

In common with other wargames, the design\cost is in the scenarios. They have to be play tested to death otherwise you will end up with criticisms that scenarios are too unbalanced.

By comparison knocking out something like Fief, 1812, 1775 is cheaper, quicker and possibly appeals to a bigger potential customer base.

Not happy myself but I get the reasons.

Cheers,

Nigel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe mcgrath
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Good news: COH Guadalcanal was listed as "One of the most anticipated games of 2014"

Bad news: It made the same list in 2013, and 2012, and...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the thing that really gets me is that I purchase ATB 2nd edition and the solo expansion with a sense that I was buying into a system that would have more expansions. I mean I purchased PoH to get revised counters, then purchased ATB 2nd to get the solo and updated things and I feel like implicit in that was a promise that a system would be forthcoming. Then it simply stopped and that coincided with the rise of Kickstarter. 1812, 1775, Freedom, Fief - quite productive. Meanwhile, I have no new CoH material and counters with fancy symbols on them that I can't use for any purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
I think the thing that really gets me is that I purchase ATB 2nd edition and the solo expansion with a sense that I was buying into a system that would have more expansions. I mean I purchased PoH to get revised counters, then purchased ATB 2nd to get the solo and updated things and I feel like implicit in that was a promise that a system would be forthcoming. Then it simply stopped and that coincided with the rise of Kickstarter. 1812, 1775, Freedom, Fief - quite productive. Meanwhile, I have no new CoH material and counters with fancy symbols on them that I can't use for any purpose.

Don't forget the monster tank expansion. A year after release they only gave us 3 scenarios that even don't use half of them. Come on academy games... you can do better than this.

I love the system but I also am losing interest. Meanwhile I discovered the Band of brothers series and this has pushed CoH from the table. They are working on a game about the old breed (covering the same topic as Guadalcanal) that should be released next year. Still might get Guadalcanal but I'm not sure anymore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaufschtick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
Well, he is probably busy working on Fief or COH: ATB 3rd edition so he can get closer to releasing 4th edition to fund Fief 2nd edition.

LOL!laugh

I threw in the towel on this series early this year, unfortunately. This, after buying AtB 1st Ed. from Uwe himself at Origins 2009. I too was looking for a system to buy into that I hoped would expand. Unfortunately as well for me, I talked two of my close friends into buying the $80 AtB 1st ed, and that is something I regret having happened ever since "correction" pieces were announced with PoH. Then when AtB 2nd edition was announced, that was the official end of any chances my friends were going to be on board with CoH any longer, and I feel fortunate to have not been asked to buy the 1st ed copies of the games I talked my friends into buying.

I also bought in on Tide of Iron, and now that FFG has officially dropped that game, I can still get a chuckle out of the many times that I was able to rightly point out that when a game like ToI is putting out expansions (the game does live on with 1A games, but Dana Lombarty has already stepped down from 1A, and I would not be surprised to see that effort unravel quickly now) faster than CoH, there are some serious issues at hand.

Heroes of Normandie, by DPG, looks like my preferred alternate to CoH. The product is on it's way to the US right now. I preordered at the end of January, looks like I'll have the base game in hand by about mid May.

Conflict of Heroes, despite being tauted by Uwe at Origins back in 09 as having been in play testing for three years, was unfortunately a game released before it was actually ready to go. When I got AtB home that summer in 09 and read the 1st ed rules, I could tell there were serious problems. The system had great promise, but there were a substantial amount of vagaries present.

Too bad the game got put on the back burner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Miller
United States
Granger
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COH: Storms of Steel was the first boardgame I bought when I got into the hobby. I was intrigued by the promise of further iterations of the series (Western Europe, Pacific, Solo expansion, etc). It appears Academy chose to focus on other games and let this series languish.

Time will tell if this was a good business decision or not. It will be interesting to see if the fan support is still there whenever a new game/expansion in the series is released. Given Academy's ever-moving deadlines and tired promises "that the delays will be worth it" I'm rather indifferent at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you that say you have walked away. A quick question. Would you have done so if there was a robust fan community of scenario designers? That is, making scenarios for either Vassal or Zuntzu and posting the setup files online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For me, it isn't so much the absence of expansions, though of course they would have been nice.

The things that have niggled me the most are

1 - the inability of Academy to manage the projects. We have been drip fed release dates that have come and gone years ago. We have been given the impression that it is in final stages, about to go to the printers on and off for the last two years or more. If you don't know, be honest about it.

2 - the feeling that CoH project have been put to one side to concentrate on other games. We have seen game be invented, designed, produced and released in the timescale that CoH expansions were slated to be released. CoH effort appears to concentrate on variations of existing products, 2nd editions, PC editions etc.

3 - fiddling with the rules, telling us that they are now even better but of course we will need to buy the counters again to benefit. This has been done twice already with AtB and wouldn't be surprised to see it happen with SoS.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lebatron wrote:
For those of you that say you have walked away. A quick question. Would you have done so if there was a robust fan community of scenario designers? That is, making scenarios for either Vassal or Zuntzu and posting the setup files online.

Well, they released Monster tanks and promised us some scenarios. We had to wait a year to get 3.

One scenario uses more counters than were provided for a new typ of tank so you need to buy a 2nd copy, created a new counter on your own or use other tanks pretending that it is the new typ T34 tank (ok, it is a small issue but still)

Another is just a few new Russian tanks fighting it out with a pair of German tanks. That was the kind of thing I was doing before the release of those 3 scenarios were released. In my opinion not worthy of being called an official scenario

The 3th scenario is great (the one that has you defendig Berlin with French SS) So 1 good scenario after 2 years. Most of the monster tank counters are still not even used in an official scenario and 2 years have pasted since the release.

Oh, they did promise us more but what did we get... Nothing! That is what turned me away from academy games. You know what the biggest joke is? That even after all this disappointment, I still visit these forums because there is still a part of me that cares about these games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve paschal
United States
Mililani
Hawaii
flag msg tools
designer
Just to clarify a bit...Academy Games is and has been run by two people, Uwe and his wife, with periodic help from other members of his family. But the main load rests on the shoulders of Uwe and he has now decided to hire a full time person to deal with the administrative issues that have prevented Academy getting the games out with the kind of speed and alacrity that many want.

That's it. And for those of you who may not know, many businesses which have small beginnings eventually, inevitably reach the point where it becomes too much for one or two people. Things begin to grind slower and the 'expand or die' axiom comes into play here...that is to say get more help or die from exhaustion from over working. Academy is in the process of expanding in that department.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bailed on the system earlier this year for three reasons:

(1) a lack of new, play-tested and balanced scenarios for existing games of AtB and SoS. Many of the scenarios I have seen are not balanced (perhaps to reflect the actual outcome of the battles) and playing it twice, switching sides, isn't fun for me. Scenarios had typos, missing units or rules, and were sometime boring.

(2) lack of new expansions. I talked with Uwe in 2012 about some of the plans he had for the future and he talked about various cool things coming up including paratrooper rules. He talked about Guadalcanal. He talked a lot. Nothing to show for it.

(3) Academy's desire to keep focusing on the past. My own theory is that Uwe is dating or otherwise good friends with a graphic artist, which is why the graphics and maps are frequently being revised. For example, for something as simple as a round marker there are at least three different designs. I cannot stand the artwork on the new boards, which is pretty but at the expense of functionality. Instead of coming up with new stuff, the older things (AtB, SoS) are being revised. This seems like sandbagging to me.

This was the first wargame system I bought into (not including M'44) and I was excited because it was new and fun. Since then, it has become old. You can only replay the same scenarios so many times. My gaming group has taken to devising our own scenarios but that is a lot of work.

This game had its moment. I don't know if another chapter will be written in its history books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guadalcanal is supposedly going to the printers soon (although we all know how long it can be after that). The Solo Expansion and Firefight Generator are out, which means you can have a new firefight whenever you want and play it solo.

Certainly seems to me that this series has a bright future despite whatever shortcomings you have experienced.

BTW, I haven't even come close to playing all the existing scenarios for POH, SOS, and AtB and when I purchased the games, it was pretty clear how many scenarios were included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.