21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Boardgame for Mom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Oh
msg tools
mb
Ok so my mom got into a string of bad luck, and is now currently living with me and my gf. She plays uno, is there anything thats easy to learn that I can teach her to get her mind off of things?
I was thinking tokaido.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like your looking for something beginner friendly that won't alienate female players.

I'd suggest F.A.T.A.L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't think of anything cuter and more deceptively strategic than Animal Shogi full 9x9 edition:

The nice thing is that it is easy to learn (all the movements are shown on the super-cute pieces) and it gives her "somewhere to go" with Shogi (Japanese chess -- which is MUCH more fun than Western Chess, in my opinion!) which has been around since 1000AD and has people who have spent their lifetime mastering it.

http://www.amazon.com/Okinamorino-Dobutsu-Shogi-Wooden-Japan...

Learn how to play from this short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_IBJ10UEg4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassone. My mom will play this and she really only likes simple stuff like rummy, uno, etc. maybe skip farmers at first since their scoring is a bit odd.

PCarcassonne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle or Qwirkle Cubes. I've only played the flat version, but I've heard that cubes is/are better.

Take it Easy! - the more players, the better because people are telling the caller what numbers they need. There's lots of table talk and laughter.

Rise of Augustus. It's compared to bingo, but some strategy gamers I know bring it to the table every week.

Blockers!. Better with 3 or more players. Has tiles on a tray similar to Scrabble or Rummikub, but much more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Cartagena is a great choice. Easy, fun and not very long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities
Odin's Ravens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko might be a solid choice. It plays easy, has eye candy, and my wife absolutely adores it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks!

Parade

Bohnanza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your idea of Tokaido is a good one. Go with that. I would also recommend Lost Cities: The Board Game which plays similar to Lost Cities except it has a board and plays 4 people. Easy card play that should appeal to someone who plays other simple card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cribbage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Wojtkielewicz
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
He who comes too late is punished by life.
mbmbmbmbmb
my mom in law likes, forbidden island, hansa and little prince

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paxdomina wrote:
I can't think of anything cuter and more deceptively strategic than Animal Shogi full 9x9 edition:

The nice thing is that it is easy to learn (all the movements are shown on the super-cute pieces) and it gives her "somewhere to go" with Shogi (Japanese chess -- which is MUCH more fun than Western Chess, in my opinion!) which has been around since 1000AD and has people who have spent their lifetime mastering it.

Seriously? He says his mom likes games like UNO and you throw out Japanese chess as a recommendation? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandra Dageroth
Germany
Steinhagen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My mother in law used to play a lot of Rummy with us until we introduced her to other games. Now these are the ones she likes the most:

Carcassonne
Qwirkle
Qwixx (she beats us every time)
Rondo
Indigo
Alhambra
Las Vegas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littlebanshee wrote:
My mother in law used to play a lot of Rummy with us until we introduced her to other games. Now these are the ones she likes the most:

Carcassonne
Qwirkle
Qwixx (she beats us every time)
Rondo
Indigo
Alhambra
Las Vegas

+1 to all of these. If you look into Carcassonne, the edition I would most recommend for a new gamer is Carcassonne: South Seas. The scoring in this one is much easier to understand than the base game. Qwixx is excellent. You can order it from amazon.de, or print out your own score sheets from BGG and use your own dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Artdicted
Greece
Athens
Kallithea
flag msg tools
badge
ΓΙΑ ΤΑ ΚΑΣΚΟΛ ΠΟΥ ΕΧΟΥΝ ΠΑΛΙΩΣΕΙ...ΚΑΙ ΓΙΑ ΤΗΝ ΤΡΕΛΑ ΠΟΥ ΠΟΤΕ ΔΕΝ ΘΑ ΤΕΛΕΙΩΣΕΙ
mbmbmbmbmb
One game that works very well with the parents of many of my friends is
Ticket to Ride. The Europe edition for us of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
paxdomina wrote:

Seriously? He says his mom likes games like UNO and you throw out Japanese chess as a recommendation? shake

Yep! This one is incredibly easy to learn and fun to play -- even for a young child.

All the possible movements are listed right on the individual pieces.

Must try before you knock it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paxdomina wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
paxdomina wrote:

Yep! This one is incredibly easy to learn and fun to play -- even for a young child.

All the possible movements are listed right on the individual pieces.

Must try before you knock it.

But you also need to tailor your recommendations to what the person already likes. What about UNO should make one suggest Shogi? Answer: Nothing. UNO suggests a light game with a fairly high degree of luck. Shogi is an abstract, no luck strategy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
antreas1911 wrote:
One game that works very well with the parents of many of my friends is
Ticket to Ride. The Europe edition for us of course.

Big +1 for this. Ticket to Ride is basically Rummy with a board. If you present it that way, her background in cards should make this a cinch for her to enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

But you also need to tailor your recommendations to what the person already likes. What about UNO should make one suggest Shogi? Answer: Nothing. UNO suggests a light game with a fairly high degree of luck. Shogi is an abstract, no luck strategy game.

You may well be right on ALL accounts! I sit here humbly corrected. blush

I just hope that she gets to enjoying the wide variety of goodness that life (and boardgaming) has to offer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paxdomina wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

You may well be right on ALL accounts! I sit here humbly corrected. blush

I just hope that she gets to enjoying the wide variety of goodness that life (and boardgaming) has to offer!

No need to be humble towards me. I can be a real ass at times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.