Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is part 3 of my AAR for The Dark Valley. Part two can be found here. This will be an AAR of as many turns of The Dark Valley as I play solo before I either a) decide I've screwed it up enough that I need to start over; b) get a good PBEM game rolling and decide to learn a new game instead of keep this going, or; c) conquer the world! I don't expect I'll fight the entire war, but we'll see how it goes.

The Russians drew their Counterattack chit, which allows them to move units, but any unit that moves MUST attack, and/or attack with units that are adjacent to start the round. First, the Russians roll 2d6 and must conduct that number of counterattacks, or allow the Germans to remove the missing number of 1-4 rifle regiments.

Right, that roll doesn't help the Russians. Single units cannot attack alone in this game (a rule I find nicely integrated into this mandatory counterattack rule, it prevents the Soviets from just tossing away 1-4's with hopeless CA's to prevent the German from choosing the removed unit), so some scrambling was in order.

The Russian's Spanish Military advisor, Fernando Darlington, noticed a glaring German error – Memel is not garrisoned, and that port can keep Soviet units alive! The first order of business was to secure Memel. I actually think the Germans might be able to close the rail lines leading out of the city, but as the wise Spaniard pointed out, they will waste precious time and resources on that now.

In the Center Russian counterattacks were mainly suicidal, but they did manage to force two German supply depots to move backward one hex (the spun depots had to pull back). We will see how much difference that hex makes soon enough.

In the South the Germans are also worried. As I thought, and as others have confirmed, AGS was not terribly strong, and behaved too aggressively. Some judicious counterattacks have left 3rd Panzer HQ alone in its hex, and threaten a depot in the south as well (the air base in this picture shows as being one hex south of Lublin, where it is actually based).

The Germans will be lucky if the next chit they pull is 3rd Panzer. The Soviets also have the potential to defend the rail line that runs south, although that veers into Axis controlled Romania so I'm not sure it will matter for supply.

The next chit pull is … 3rd Panzer! Perhaps they can solidify their position in the south.

That was lucky for the Germans.

3rd Panzer has some issue, they've become a bit overextended it seems, and left a Soviet Mech Unit along with some infantry regiments free in Lwow. Rooting them out won't be easy, but they want to clear the rail line to move their depot forward.

A move/combat approach leads to this. I know that 2:1 attacks are risky, but the Germans hope to get enough troops in position to liberate Lwow as soon as possible, if attrition doesn't do the job for them. [Note – the black ZOC indicator is an error, no unit there has a ZOC.

Those attacks went terribly! And now the depot near Dublin can be pushed back, and possibly blocked, by a two Russian regiments with a move chit, if that comes out before logistics! Things in the south are simply not looking good.

The sixth round sees the 2nd Panzer chit drawn. That won't help Germany much in the south, but AGC seems to be making the best progress of Germany's three main armies.

There is one tough Russian stack to deal with (in a town), but it's pretty far behind the lines.

2nd Panzer has a lot of strength in range, so it can do a lot of things. Using Tac Air it is able to launch a 4:1 attack against the big Soviet stack in Bialystok. If the attack on Grodno to the north succeeds, even a DR result in Bialystok will lead to those units being eliminated for inability to retreat. Advance units can establish a forward operational line along a north-south axis from Vilnius, in preparation for the eventual conquest of Minsk en route to Moscow.

2nd Panzer acquitted itself well, opening a column to move supplies forward and positioning troops in good attack positions, while not leaving too many Russian units in the rear. The attack on Bialystok ended with a DE result (natural 6 +1 DRM), which was important.

The bad new remains in the North. Russia has taken control of Memel, and so can supply units throughout the Baltics. If the Germans, on 3rd Panzers remaining activation, can send their last remaining air unit on a successful bombardment, they might be able to free a rail line for one of their northern depots to advance, but overall AGN's offensive looks to have been mis-managed. That damanable Spaniard and his “advice” to Comrade Stalin! Doesn't he recall the Germans aided his country in their last military endeavors!

I'd hoped to finish this turn tonight, but not enough time. Three rounds remain, a Russian Move chit, German 3rd Panzer and Logistics. I'll hope to play them Thursday (Wednesday is a 12 hour work day). Until then, know that next up is the Soviet Move. They will have a final opportunity to save troops left in the rear, making a run for it before completely exhausting their supplies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Darlington
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh... that wat just the first repayment of the T-26s tanks and I-15s planes comrade Stalin sent to the republican army, tovarich. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ted raicer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
The Soviets only control Memel if a Sov unit entered it-remember ZOCs don't extend into cities.

Ted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tdraicer wrote:
The Soviets only control Memel if a Sov unit entered it-remember ZOCs don't extend into cities.

Ted

Yes, I didn't say it in my post, but there was a 1-4 rifle regiment that moved into the city then back out again. But thank you for that clarification, I hadn't made the connection between the definition of control and the prohibition about cities in the ZOC rule (although it is clearly stated there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.