Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What method do different groups use for selecting player factions. There are four different methods that we are batting around and toying with.

1) Completely random. Deal out two factions to each player. That player plays those two factions.

2) Completely non-random. Each player picks one factions. Then each player picks another faction (basically the method in the rules).

3) Semi-Random 1. Each player gets one faction at random. Then each player picks another faction.

4) Semi-Random 2. Each player is dealt three factions and chooses two of them to play.

What method do other groups use (and why)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaminder Dhillon
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group tends to use #4. This is so each player gets the opportunity to try new factions but is never stuck with a pair they're completely unhappy with. Plus, it increases the chances to try a group they haven't tried before and want to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Vandenberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
We mostly use #1 and #2 but we use another method as well that I think is endorsed in the rules book.

You randomly choose 8 factions out of the base and expansion factions and from those you take turns picking which ones you want, reversing the order for the second faction pick like stated in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhatAChamp wrote:
You randomly choose 8 factions out of the base and expansion factions and from those you take turns picking which ones you want, reversing the order for the second faction pick like stated in the rules.

This. That way all factions have a chance to get picked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#4, with a one-pass draft. Each player is given 3 factions, they choose 1 and pass the other 2 round to the next player. Each player then chooses their second and discards the last.

Tends to result in all factions being played and gives the opportunity to block the next player round from specific factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Roadhouse
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll a dice or choose a number between 1 and however many decks you have and that's one of your decks. That's how we do it; and you normally don't get the same decks as they always go back in a random order

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
#4, with a one-pass draft. Each player is given 3 factions, they choose 1 and pass the other 2 round to the next player. Each player then chooses their second and discards the last.

Tends to result in all factions being played and gives the opportunity to block the next player round from specific factions.

Ah. I like this option!

Thanks guys for all the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We stick with option 2. The way it is set up in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 and 3

We hate getting set up with a faction pair we don't like, so we get one random and then pick the other.

we are all good about mixing up our choices, so there is no need to force ourselves to pick something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lay them out, pick one in order then pick another in reverse order.

1 2 3 4 4 3 2 1

The first picker gets first and last but the last picker gets back to back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John X
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With lots of expansions and most of my games only 2 player, we got a little creative. Deal half to each player, then depending on what makes sense for the number of factions we'd do a pick/ban system, almost like what you'd see in a MOBA. Kill some cards, pass the pile to your opponent, then pick a card from that new pile and kill some cards, passing again, and then pick.

With 12 factions that would be something like: Kill 1, Pass, Pick 1 and Kill 1, Pass, Pick 1.

We also play multiple games in a row and like seeing a lot of factions, so we just remove every played faction from the pool (being divisible by 4 is nice) for the new round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My coworker and I pretty much do number one. We take one card of each faction, shuffle them up, spread them out face-down, and each draw two cards. Since the AL9K expansion came in, we have been drawing a random expansion deck and then one from the base game randomly, so that way we are guaranteed some experience with the expansion. When I get back up north with the Double Feature box, we'll probably mix the AL9K choices in with the base game and then draw one random Double Feature deck.

We know it says to choose in the actual instructions, but both of us prefer doing it randomly. Sure there are lots of different combos that work well together and can defeat OP combos, but we would rather try to make a random combo work every time rather than keep rolling the same OP combos. I know I would pick Dinos almost every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.