United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All Creatures is only 2p, so if you want to play with more than 2p, get Stone Age.

Stone Age has the dice, so there's more uncertainty in what you'll actually get. With All Creatures, you know exactly.

While you take cards and tiles in Stone Age, you're building a more realistic looking thing in All Creatures.

All Creatures has the expansions to change things up a bit. I haven't played the Stone Age expansion, so I can't compare them. The All Creatures expansion is a bit of a necessity, I don't think the Stone Age one is.

Both are good, so get the one that appeals to you. All Creatures is perhaps cheaper and more readily available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small:

thumbsup reliably plays in 20-30 minutes
thumbsup has a lot of depth for its play-length, and variety when mixing in an expansion (or two)
thumbsup cute animal meeples and farm layout are a hit for us
thumbsdown Only two-players. But you can always step up to Agricola or Caverna if you really like it and want a longer/deeper game that supports more players.

Stone Age:

thumbsdown Plays in about 90-120 minutes (for us)
thumbsup Has some fun dice rolling excitement. We love using the dice cup.
thumbsup Plays more than two players.
thumbsdown Expansion is a dud

From what you describe I think you'd want to consider the following worker placement games:

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Lords of Waterdeep
The Pillars of the Earth

And my wife and I's favorite (though not worker placement):

San Juan

All of these play in the 30-60 minute range, play well with two-players and don't induce a tremendous amount of brain-hurt.

That's not to say that Stone Age is a poor game, we like it a lot, but it consistently overstays its welcome, and I wish it was 30 minutes shorter and had a more thematic end-game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a copy, Walnut Grove would be another option. There are parts where you all resolve things in your player areas at the same time, making the 4p game not much longer than the 2p one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm beginning to hate the dice aspect of Stone Age. I'd easily play Lords of Waterdeep before Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.