Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a small question regarding the use of these two post-battle abilities: say that I'm windwalker and I'm fighting Great Cthulhu in an epic battle that pains everything out of the area and kills at least one of Cthulhu's units; I decide to use cannibalism to put a Cultist on the vacant gate. The Black Goat sees this and isn't happy at all, so she decides to send in one of her Ghouls to pain my cultist away.

Would this be legal?

My guess would be no, since the Acolyte Cultist wasn't part of the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
correct:

units that do not take part in the battle (including, for instance, units that were made invisible by a flying polyp) cannot be pained away by any means, including necrophagy.

EDIT: one (probably) unresolved issue is who gets to decide first to use cannibalism or necrophagy (in a situation where neither faction takes part in the actual battle). The two abilities do not affect each other, however, as you suggest, Black Goat may want to simply see if the other player will use cannibalism before electing to send in a ghoul (not to pain out the cultist/wendigo, but to know if she can get a ghoul into an otherwise empty space).

battle abilities have a specific order of play, but if you are not involved in the battle it's trickier to determine...

Link? Sandy? you must weigh in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
one (probably) unresolved issue is who gets to decide first to use cannibalism or necrophagy (in a situation where neither faction takes part in the actual battle). The two abilities do not affect each other, however, as you suggest, Black Goat may want to simply see if the other player will use cannibalism before electing to send in a ghoul (not to pain out the cultist/wendigo, but to know if she can get a ghoul into an otherwise empty space).

battle abilities have a specific order of play, but if you are not involved in the battle it's trickier to determine...

Link? Sandy? you must weigh in.

Good point. I'd love to know the answer.

My solution: declare them in player order, like the rituals of annihilation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My solution: declare them in player order, like the rituals of annihilation.

that makes sense, and it might be the actual rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player order is probably the best solution, since having the abilities in a specific order gives more headaches while learning the game. It takes less effort to know that things are resolved in player order, then having to know in which specific order all abilities resolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The actual rule for when abilities go off is the attacker gets to go first. That's for pre-battle abilities at least. I assume it maintains for post-battle as well, but as has been stated they weren't involved in the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we're only talking about what happens with battle abilities of factions NOT involved in the battle. How do you choose THEIR order in relation to each other? (e.g. cannibalism and necrophagy?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh right whoops those happen after the defender's post battle stuff. Even still necrophagy doesn't affect things that weren't in the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That brings up the second point.

Does windwalker chose if he puts a cultist or wendigo there first.

Or

Does Black Goat decide to move ghouls there first.

Or

Is this determent by player order.

Since this could matter. Because you'd summon a wendigo, if black goat sends a ghoul there or still has the option to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if there is no one left in the area you can still use necrophagy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not the question. The question is which player acts first between Black Goat and Windwalker when both didn't participate in the fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Link:

we still don't have an answer to the question that is being asked:

Who goes first between using necrophagy and cannibalism when NEITHER Windwalker NOR Black Goat participate in the battle in question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does it matter? Nonetheless player turn order dictates play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why does it matter?

It won't matter very often. Here's when it might:

A battle in an area with a gate and not involving either Windwalker or Black Goat occurs. After the battle, at least one unit was killed and the area is completely emptied through kills and pains. If Windwalker goes first, and chooses to place a cultist, the Black Goat player might want to put his ghoul there (suppose Ithaqua is not in play and he wants to capture the cultist). If Windwalker places a wendigo, Black Goat may want to keep his ghoul where it is. vice versa everything for Windwalker - he may very well want to know if the ghouls are going to that area before selecting whether it's a cultist or wendigo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very true very true my ignorance only outshines my arrogance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Vinz
msg tools
mb
My apologies if this has already been answered before:

Windwalker is hibernated.
Two other players battle in an area with a gate, someone dies, and both of them are wiped out from the area.
Windwalker spawns a cultist in the area by Cannibalism.

May WW take the gate? i.e. may he spawn "directly on the gate", or he just spawns in the area and has to wait his next move (next turn, when he recovers from hibernate) to control the gate?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, because controlling a gate is an Unlimited Action you take on your turn, and Windwalker has no more turns after Hibernating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
Nope, because controlling a gate is an Unlimited Action you take on your turn, and Windwalker has no more turns after Hibernating.

I think it's worth pointing out that even if WW wasn't hibernating, it wouldn't be possible to spawn on the gate, which may give another faction the chance to move in and take the gate, depending on when WW's next turn is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Vinz
msg tools
mb
Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
Quote:
Why does it matter?

It won't matter very often. Here's when it might:

A battle in an area with a gate and not involving either Windwalker or Black Goat occurs. After the battle, at least one unit was killed and the area is completely emptied through kills and pains. If Windwalker goes first, and chooses to place a cultist, the Black Goat player might want to put his ghoul there (suppose Ithaqua is not in play and he wants to capture the cultist). If Windwalker places a wendigo, Black Goat may want to keep his ghoul where it is. vice versa everything for Windwalker - he may very well want to know if the ghouls are going to that area before selecting whether it's a cultist or wendigo.

Was this ever settled? Or will this one be forever subject to the Omega Rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main rulebook covers it, and says simultaneous abilities happen in player order, starting with 1st player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, very good. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.